Marshall "1969" Cabinet with "Super 65's"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall "1969" Cabinet with "Super 65's"

I have what I was told is a Marshall 1969 cabinet. Not the year of 1969, that's the model. It has English made Celestion Super 65's and checkerboard grill cloth. Same exact size as a normal Marshall 4X12 bottom cab. Can anyone shed some light on this? Sounds great, but I just don't know for sure what the heck it is!

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Those look like newer re-issue speakers, somebody probably took out the originals, probably vintage 30's, and replaced them with those.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

The magnets on super-65 are much smaller than the G12-65 speakers.
      The ones you have are newer, but I think they quit making them when production went to China. I may be wrong, but I doubt they are are original.

Get some "Guitar Warehouse Speakers" or enjoy the ones in there. I'll bet they are ok.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

That cabinet was probably loaded with green backs. Since that is the "reissue cab with checker board grill from the early 70's. Vintage 30's IIRC didn't hit until the 80's. In an attempt to duplicate the original V30 Speakers of that cabinet. But with higher power for the newer louder rock and metal of the day. So yeah. If it wasnt the green backs it could've been the G65's which wer only made for a couple years in the mid 70s' IIRC.
        Gil

Comment

i bet they sound great.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
            Those look like newer re-issue speakers, somebody probably took out the originals, probably vintage 30's, and replaced them with those.
            +1 Those are newer speakers. If they sound great, that's all that matters. I'd like to experiment with differrent speakers, but for now, it's just G12-75's.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              That cabinet was probably loaded with green backs. Since that is the "reissue cab with checker board grill from the early 70's. Vintage 30's IIRC didn't hit until the 80's. In an attempt to duplicate the original V30 Speakers of that cabinet. But with higher power for the newer louder rock and metal of the day. So yeah. If it wasnt the green backs it could've been the G65's which wer only made for a couple years in the mid 70s' IIRC.
              Gil
              I thought the reissue cabs didn't have the plastic amp corners. I could be wrong tho, it looks more like an original cab from the `70's than a reissue.
              The original Rola-Celestion G12-65's weren't made until the late`70's I belive`79 was the first year. Marshall had them in the 1960 model 4x12's from about `79/`80 up until around `85/`86 when they switched to the G12M70's for a short time then to the Cel.`75's around`86/`87.

Comment

Thanks for the info, fellows. I believe it is a modern "1960 BX" cabinet. Here's the link to one, and it is stock with Celestion Greenbacks: http://00ea4e2.netsolstores.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=71

I believe this is what I have, and someone removed the more costly Greenbacks and put in the Super 65's, which sound great, but aren't the originals. The "X" in the cabinet name indicates the gold "veining" on the top and bottom of the cabinet.

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

ACtually the "X" is the vintage style cab refferance. They couldn't call it the 1960bv cus that belongs to the cabinet with the vintage 30's. The old ones had the gold piping too as well as the green backs. So its a reissue kind of thing.
                  Gil

Comment

Got any pics of the back of the cab?

Comment

Working...
                    X