Time for a New Amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a New Amp...

Heres one for all you amp people. I have $1200 to spend, and want a new amp. I'm looking at a good all around amp for hard rock, classic rock, and 80s metal, as well as some shred metal. I have a TS9 and DOD YJM308 I can use as boosts, so I'm looking at mid gain and up. It must be multichannel and have decent cleans. So here it goes:

Peavey 6505+ - I heard these are awesome metal amps, but do they do low and mid gain stuff pretty nicely, as well as cleans? How is build quality on these?

Peavey JSX - This also seems like a good choice, but its a bit more then I want to spend. Otherwise, I'm seriously considering it.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL (50 watt version) - I like these, but just how hit or miss is the build quality? I don't want to spend $1,200 on an amp and then have to be getting it fixed a lot...

Mesa Express 5:25 - My guitar teacher has the combo version and I really like it, but the controls seem a bit limited. It also seems pricey for what you get, but I'm still considering it if I decide I don't want to get the JSX.

Line 6 Spider Valve - If I got this one, I would wait. It seems appealing, but I don't know if I want a modeling amp. The price seems right though if its not made in China.

And the wildcard....

Used Marshall JCM900 w/ Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with Celestions - I am heavily considering this as I could probably get it for about $1000, but I'm not sure I want the cab as I have one. However it does seem like a good deal...

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks.

The JSX is very versatile, and would definitely get the sounds you're looking for. I tried one and didn't care for it for the high-gain death metal stuff I require, but it could do hard rock on up to mainstream metal quite well. The XXX is cheaper and might be worth considering too, because of the voicings.

The Spider Valve will be Chinese based on everything I've heard, but that question will be answered on its own fairly soon.
    sigpic

Comment

of all your alternatives the most i like is the mesa 5:25

Comment

Why not just get a single channel tube amp that you like the clean than use your effects for the gain. Or a amp like a Marshall JMP master volume( 50 watt ) and get the gain you want than tune down the volume on you guitar for the clean. If you just learn how to use your guitar volume control multi channeled amp aren't needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          Why not just get a single channel tube amp that you like the clean than use your effects for the gain. Or a amp like a Marshall JMP master volume( 50 watt ) and get the gain you want than tune down the volume on you guitar for the clean. If you just learn how to use your guitar volume control multi channeled amp aren't needed.
          I just prefer amp distortion to pedal based distortion, but I will consider a single channel amp if I find one that catches my fancy

The Spider Valve will be Chinese based on everything I've heard, but that question will be answered on its own fairly soon.
          Rules that out then.

Comment

JCM900 and cab for $1000? You could do better if you looked harder.

Comment

Hold off a bit until you find an incredible deal on a used amp.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

CharvelRocker...PM sent...

Comment

The Mesa Express is a great amp, but may not have the gain you need for shred metal. It does 80's metal fairly well, though.

I have the 5:50 with the 6L6s, so I am not sure how the 5:25 is for amount of Gain.

Good amp overall, despite the fact that I am having some issues getting one that actually has all 7 tubes working correctly.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Buy a used Mesa Mark III or IV. The III has a more 80 metal lead channel think Anthrax Among the Living. And the IV has a little smoother sound like the Black Album. I have a Mark IVA which I love. You could pick them up for around $800 on e-bay.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                      Buy a used Mesa Mark III or IV. The III has a more 80 metal lead channel think Anthrax Among the Living. And the IV has a little smoother sound like the Black Album. I have a Mark IVA which I love. You could pick them up for around $800 on e-bay.
                      I'll have to look into one, thanks. I think I've ruled the 6505+ out. Just too loud and the cleans don't quite do it for me. They may rule those MEsas you suggested out too. The JSX is pretty much out of the running too due to the price, and the JCM2000 is about to join it. One other option I'm thinking about is the Peavey Windsor. Its made in China, but I figured I should give it a shot since its similar to the JCM900/800, which is what I think I'm really aiming for. That said, I should also give the Spider Valve a run when it comes out if I'm going to consider the Windsor. But is the Windsor dual channel or single channel?

Comment

You might want to check out an ENGL Blackmore signature. ENGL's have really nice clean channels, but there is also plenty of gain available. I recently picked up an ENGL Powerball. A good clean channel was a requirement for me. I'm not sure if the Blackmore fits in your budget though, ENGL's are a bit more expensive in the states than here in Europe (they are German made).
                        My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                          I'll have to look into one, thanks. I think I've ruled the 6505+ out. Just too loud and the cleans don't quite do it for me. They may rule those MEsas you suggested out too. The JSX is pretty much out of the running too due to the price, and the JCM2000 is about to join it. One other option I'm thinking about is the Peavey Windsor. Its made in China, but I figured I should give it a shot since its similar to the JCM900/800, which is what I think I'm really aiming for. That said, I should also give the Spider Valve a run when it comes out if I'm going to consider the Windsor. But is the Windsor dual channel or single channel?
                          I have heard that the Windsor sounds pretty good, but have ALSO heard that it is bad about picking up radio station interference!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Randall RM100 especially on the used market, will get you a variety of modules to do everything from clean to 80's metal to heavier new stuff if you want. Its all tube and sounds great!

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                              I have heard that the Windsor sounds pretty good, but have ALSO heard that it is bad about picking up radio station interference!
                              GW reviewed (I think it was in GW...) the Windsor recently, and they said it sounded pretty good. There were some comments about the clean being a bit thin sounding, but still acceptable. For the price, I think it is hard to go wrong with this head, assuming there are no reliability issues from the Chinese manufacturing. I had a Vox Valvetronix combo that lasted about 4 months before it had to be replaced... made in Vietnam. It sounded good though, before it died.
                              My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Working...
                              X