Time for a New Amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbope View Post
    GW reviewed (I think it was in GW...) the Windsor recently, and they said it sounded pretty good. There were some comments about the clean being a bit thin sounding, but still acceptable. For the price, I think it is hard to go wrong with this head, assuming there are no reliability issues from the Chinese manufacturing. I had a Vox Valvetronix combo that lasted about 4 months before it had to be replaced... made in Vietnam. It sounded good though, before it died.
    Thats my concern, but I got to thinking: Is it any better then the Marshall (in terms of construction)? Plus Peavey has a 5 year warranty on parts and labor, while Marshalls is 3 on labor and 5 on parts.

I read the review too, but I don't care much for those reviews, as every thing they they tend to like because the companies having them review it are stuffing the magazines pockets. Guitar Player reviews are better then most though to their credit, even if they are still like that.

Comment

May I suggest a Carvin MTS. I have one and love it!! The stock tubes sucked, but I changed them out and now it roars Switchable for EL34`s or 6L6`s. I am using 4 EH EL34`s and 4 EH 12AX7`s in V2-5 and a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 Sweet high headroom clean channel with a warm tone.Smokin Lead channel and an active EQ. The reverb is very nice. I use an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and this amp is even more menacing I don`t see it mentioned, but it has a Presence knob. They are $650 new, $30 for the Footswitch and shipping is Free for a limited time!! Best buy on the market right now Here is a pic and the specs:

Specs:

• Reverb—both channels
      • Dual channels (clean & crunch/sustain) with separate level controls
      • 50 /100 watt output switch for tube saturation at lower levels
      • Bias switch for your choice of 5881(matched Groove Tubes™), 6L6GC''s or EL34 power tubes
      • Tubes: four 5881 matched Groove Tubes™
      • Five 12AX7 preamp tubes for high gain (V1& V2 Groove Tubes™)
      • The cabinet voiced line output jack delivers the natural “mic’d” sound direct to your mixer
      • A 4, 8 or 16 ohm switch allows your choice of speakers
      • A normalized Effects Loop is featured for foot effects as well a rack effects
      • The optional FS22 foot switch is for selecting channels and reverb
      • Tubes: four 5881, five 12AX7A
      • Hand crafted 7-ply poplar wood cabinet (not particle board) covered in a rich black protective vinyl
      • Head: 24.25W x 10.5H x 9.5”D, WT: 35 lbs.
      • Made in San Diego, California
      • Warranty: 1 year.

The Master Tube Series is an all tube 50/100 watt guitar amp. It’s multiple warm tube sounds gives incredible violin like sustain. Any style of playing from country to hard rock can be achieved. CH 1 delivers shimmering clean tones while CH 2 adjusts from mild soft-clip crunch to a full power soaked sustain. The 5881 matched Groove Tubes™ power tubes are used for their smooth, responsive sound and high output. They react to the most subtle touch-if you play soft the tubes remain clean and when you increase your attack, they respond accordingly. The MTS long-tail reverb offers vibrancy and warmth. The buffered effects loop is designed to work with any effect from battery powered (-10) to pro-rack units (+4).

Jack

Comment

That Carvin looks sweet for the money, though the warranty concerns me slightly. I'll have to give one of those a look if I don't like the Windsor

Comment

I agree, I never had a problem with mine, but I also don`t understand Carvin`s cheap ass 1 year warranty I would think 2-3 would be much more fair. That been said, they sound great!! Mine is a few years old and came with horrible Sovtek tubes

Jack

Comment

The Windsor sounds good. Better on the gain channel than the clean. Think jc,800ish Or a good jcm900. The switching tho lacks a bit. You have to adjust knobs to get it completely clean unless you roll the volume down on the ap. Since bith channels share part of the gain structure. Hopefully they redesign it to be a true 2 channel. But thats wishfull thinking. But then what would you expect for an all tube amp thats less than 500 bucks?
            Aside from the fact that the Spider valve is made in China. It's most likely gonna be a killer amp. China is maling some really good stuff lately. They have stepped it up quite a bit. And is competeing with Korea in the ranks. Line 6 im sure has tested and evaluated the Chinese manufacturing. Due to som issue they've had with previous models. But I havn't heard any p[roblems with the new Spider III's. And we sell quite a few of them. Even the little ones like ther 15watter. Which seem to get pushed out really fast to compete with the other small amps out there. (ie Fender Frontman, Crate GTD15.)etc...
            Gil

Comment

Well, as it turns out I pretty much need a combo, due to church... So here it goes:

Fender Hot Rod Deville 212: While I played the 410, the 212 is cheaper. I really liked the tone, but found it pricey for a MIM.

Peavey Valveking: Pretty nice, even if it is higher gain then what I needed, and it lacked a foot switch. Also made in China, which is a killer.

Crate Palomino: Crap. Bland tone, not enough drive, and numb feeling controls.

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb: Sounded GREAT, had really nice response, but not near enough OD for me. Plus its Mexican.

Line 6 Spider Valve: Over priced, and while it didn't sound bad, it didn't sound great either.

1970s Fender silver face Deluxe Reverb w/ master volume: This was at a local shop. Again, sounded really good, but it didn't get much drive without being cranked hard.

Crate Vintage 60: I rented this one and I'm digging it. Unique tone, and its very responsive. Also has a lot of nice little boost switches. Effects loop, and foot switch ready. The only thing that could match it in features is the Spider Valve. Its also only $350, which has me seriously considering it. So, thoughts?

Comment

I've not heard anything good about Crate products, and the Fender Deluxe Reverb, master vol is not one of the best, either. That MV circuit is a tone sucker, and the transformers that came in those are not very desirable and are expensive to replace. A LOT of work would have to be done to "Blackface" that particular amp. At least I can get some drive out of mine with the right tubes and bias settings. But it's an old one.
                I've seen good reveiws about the DR reissues. The HRDX is an amp to avoid. "MIM" wouldn't bother me too much, if there were no significant design changes.
                Last edited by Cygnus X1; 10-16-2007, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Marshall JVM.
                  It will do any kind of metal you can think of and it has a great clean channel and a programmable footswitch with 6 patches that remembers your settings.

4 channels x 3 modes = 12 channels. Its like a Road King thats really easy to use but with more mid range growl than a Mesa. Its not a creamy boutique amp but it is a shitkicking rock amp with plenty of versatility. It has loads of gain in od1 and od2 and I mean loads.

Two master volumes so you can set up a boost solo channel too.

I'm very happy with mine but I dont know what they'd be going for over there.

I suppose it depends if you like the Marshall sound or not though. But why wouldn't you?
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Mark IV's have gone up in price, $800 is a little far fetched these days. But you can still get them between $1000 and $1400, just got to look around. And since he needs a combo this is a good choice for him.

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                    Buy a used Mesa Mark III or IV. The III has a more 80 metal lead channel think Anthrax Among the Living. And the IV has a little smoother sound like the Black Album. I have a Mark IVA which I love. You could pick them up for around $800 on e-bay.

Comment

If i was you I would go with either a Mesa Mark IV combo, or even a better choice would be a Mesa Stiletto Ace, this thing slays for the tones you desire. You can get both used for under $1200.

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      Well, as it turns out I pretty much need a combo, due to church... So here it goes:

Fender Hot Rod Deville 212: While I played the 410, the 212 is cheaper. I really liked the tone, but found it pricey for a MIM.

Peavey Valveking: Pretty nice, even if it is higher gain then what I needed, and it lacked a foot switch. Also made in China, which is a killer.

Crate Palomino: Crap. Bland tone, not enough drive, and numb feeling controls.

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb: Sounded GREAT, had really nice response, but not near enough OD for me. Plus its Mexican.

Line 6 Spider Valve: Over priced, and while it didn't sound bad, it didn't sound great either.

1970s Fender silver face Deluxe Reverb w/ master volume: This was at a local shop. Again, sounded really good, but it didn't get much drive without being cranked hard.

Crate Vintage 60: I rented this one and I'm digging it. Unique tone, and its very responsive. Also has a lot of nice little boost switches. Effects loop, and foot switch ready. The only thing that could match it in features is the Spider Valve. Its also only $350, which has me seriously considering it. So, thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                        Mark IV's have gone up in price, $800 is a little far fetched these days. But you can still get them between $1000 and $1400, just got to look around. And since he needs a combo this is a good choice for him.
                        I bought my MarkIV short Head for $800 in Guitar Center last year, so they can be found.

Comment

Long story short, I need this by Sunday, and since I figured I really like the tone, and its the best bang for my buck (dual Channel, individual EQ, tube driven reverb, 4 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 EL34s in the power amp) I'm buying the Crate FOR NOW. I'll probably trade up in the next 2 months or so for what I was originally looking for, but since I'm in a pinch, its what I'm going for. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                            I just prefer amp distortion to pedal based distortion, but I will consider a single channel amp if I find one that catches my fancy
                            if you're open to single channel, check out the VHT deliverance! just one channel, but it does everything from clean to mid-gain to full on death metal beautifully

Comment

Working...
                            X