X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satriani talking about the JSX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZd2k_5btw&sdig=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqJM2qLx6A&sdig=1

There are more parts out there. These are the ones I've had time to see so far. Really interesting to hear him talk amps.

I played The Marshal JVM, a Recto (again) and the JSX (again) a couple days ago!!!

The recto still sounds like bees in a coffe can to me..way to saggy, mushy and buzzy..whenever I play one I'm immediately reminded why I dumped mine in '92, and why I never looked back.

The JVM was working with me pretty good..I played it at a moderate level for over an hour..GC didn't mind because customers were asking about the amp. It was OK, I'm spoiled I have my old killer sounding Marshall rig that still deliver the goods the way I like it and a Bogner Uberschall.

I LOVE the sound of a good Marshall, and you can get that from the JVM. But it wasn't far removed from what I used to dial in with my old 2203s, and various EQs with a Metal Zone. It reminded me of a JCM 800 2203 with a Metal Zone..it had that kind of response, and metalic tone to my ears..I did enjoy playing it tho. It does require a noise gate!!!!

I got more girth, chunk, and harmonics with MUCH less noise with the JSX.

So, without a doubt I would take the JSX over the JVM. Remember I don't play or use any clean or crunch channels..so my opinion is based on my minimal needs.

To be honest I like the first series 30th blue Marshall anniversary better than the JVM..which Joe Satriani used on tour for a while..as well as 5150s..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      To be honest I like the first series 30th blue Marshall anniversary better than the JVM.
      I think that is hands down the best sounding "modern" Marshall that they've made...killer amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
        I think that is hands down the best sounding "modern" Marshall that they've made...killer amp.

It was very nice..a friend of mine bought one, but I bought the Recto instead.

I'm still very much in love with my Marshall rack 9200/w5881s/JMP-1/JFX-1..it nails classic Van Halen, latter Criss Oliva, Megadeth ect including recent Maiden/Preist.

But I apply it to modern thrash just like bands like early Soilwork. Modern thrash is what I always play and it works just fine..the rythms really "cut" and the lead tone is amazing!

If I didn't have my Bogner and Marshall rig..I'd definitely own a JSX. I can nail Arch Enemy, Nevermore and my shit to a T!!!

Basically anything I like MUST give me the classic VH tone. I always use that as a reference, then go from there..pushing the gain and bottom end...making it "heavier"

No matter how "saturated" yet tight I get from a amp of my liking. I can still play the intro to "Aint Talkin" or eruption and it just works, ..that's what I look for in any amp!

The JSX delivers that in spades for me.

But I like what I have better.
        Last edited by horns666; 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Notice how he references the wah-wah when he talks about design?

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
            Notice how he references the wah-wah when he talks about design?
            I'm am high..so I happily ramble..

Steve..I know exactly what you mean about percieved amp quirks. It is "Wah" in your case, "Hish" in Clevo-John's case, and "Honk" in mine. I was going to dump the Uber if I couldn't rid the "Honk" at high levels. Trying tubes that were suggested was a coin flip in keeping it. Why keep anything that irritates you, when there's so many options these days.

We all have our tone in our brain. We know what feels, and sounds good/ bad when we hear it. That is a personal connection our "mojo" , the guitar and amp.

How many years have we tweaked and twiddled countless amounts of gear to convey our TONE from our head, to our fingers, to our ears..

How many times have you played a rig that a friend/bandmates sound awesome with. The first thing you want to do is go for the bass, mid, treble, presence, and gain knobs. As soon as you plug into THEIR tone, you instantly know it's not your tone..or maybe it could be.

I never been more content with my tone since I've been playing. I discovered it is dialed in to my "touch", and conveys exactly what I want to hear. But I will try anything I see. If it's "better" I'll own it..that's a personal choice.

Here's what happened today..

My kid and I always help each other learn stuff. I teach him what I know, which he picks it up fast. I solo and try harmonies over shit. I'm constantly schooling him on his hand position, but he won't budge. His hand is super-glued over the neck pup, but he sounds just fine with his Line 6 and the Marshall. Today, he wanted to switch amps..so we did. He sounds like SHIT with the Bogner. It was so bad, he was laughing..while I called him a dick for making the Uber sound like a cruddy bass amp. I should make him always play it...forcing him to adjust his hand. He has his own thing going, and comes up with shit I can't grasp..so fuggit.

It's ALL in a players touch. I'm the same way with a Recto. I can NOT fuggin' play them. I sound like my kid with the Bogner. Rectos are tried and true "quality" amps that I can not get along with. But, all know what I think of Jeff Loomis and his Recto..

Several friends (good players) played my shit. Some prefer the Marshall. Most prefer the Bogner and sound great, especially over drums. That's where your tone needs to be anyway. I firmly belive you can not fine tuned your tone without drums..at the very least. Whenever you dial-in a sound your content with...it'll go right out the window when you add drums, bass, vocals, and especially another guitar in the mix..then it's battle of the midrange!

Mids..Mids..Mids...which brings us to Steve's JSX "Wah" complaint..he hears it, he hates it, he wants to fuck it in the ass, and I understand it. I don't hear it..but I definitely understand it!!

There is countless threads asking what amp is best for them. That's cool for peronal tastes, styles and reviews of our credible ampfolk . But the only way you'll find YOUR amp, is trying them yourself ..with your ears kissing the speaker cones..that's where the tone is..and that's where the mic goes!!!

Bill Z Bub

Comment

The thing about the JSX when I had it is that it would sound great for bit... pretty tight, nice definition, cut well, pretty forgiving, etc... But that wah thing drove me CRAZY. I really wanted to like that amp... I've heard some great clips (and some not so great).

I completely agree Bill, everyone has their own perception of good tone. If you don't like the sound of rig you're playing through, you will play like shit... there's no two ways about it... It has nothing to do with skill either.

You also have a point about how the way you play affects your tone. I never really realized it until recently. Yeah, I know that you can adjust your picking hand, attack, etc... for different effects and sounds, but until I started screwing around with tons of different picks did I really start to notice it. For the last five years or so, I used those Dunlop 500 1.5mm picks (purple). They seem to "smash" (for lack of a better term) into the strings rather than "pluck" them... well, at least for the way I pick. I started using thinner picks (I think I'm settled on the green tortex .88mm), and I'm getting a more defined tone out of all my amps. It could very well be that the JSX didn't respond well to my heavy right hand/pick combo. I guess my point is that the usual targets of disgust when it comes to hating your tone (amp, guitars, pickups, etc...) aren't always the problem.

This is really getting complicated...

Comment

Plus when playing thru JSX , you need to add the guitar your playing thru
                into the mix. My Carvin 7 right now is my favorite guitar to play, but it's a
                naturally "mid heavy" guitar, so when I use it I have to kick on my MXR 10
                band EQ in the loop and "re -EQ" the amp so it sounds the way I want it
                to. Same thing with my blue GMW (all maple). When I plug in my SL2H or
                my Blackjack (both maple/mahogany with Duncan JB's at the bridge) ,I
                don't have to do anything special to get "my sound" out of the amp
                it just sounds "right" . I think "scooped" pickups sound better thru this amp
                my Carvin has Bare Knuckle pickups in it and they have lots of mids to
                them, my GMW has a SH-5 in it (again mid strong) and I have to Dial out
                the upper mids to get it to sound right.
                I played a Hellraiser 7 thru one of these at GC before I got mine and
                this amp loves EMG 707's, so that's also something to keep in mind.
                I by no means think this amp is the amp of amps either, after playing thru
                an Engel SE at the Boston guitar show, I would ditch the JSX for one of
                those in a heartbeat, but they cost 3 times as much and I really am only a
                home player so why bother.
                but for the price the JSX is a lot of amp. and it works for me so no complaints here.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Bill, i want to see you try out the Vintage Modern. (with and without an OD pedal.)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                    Bill, i want to see you try out the Vintage Modern. (with and without an OD pedal.)
                    Ok, bro..I'll just try without it. If if I'm going to drop good coin on any amp..I better not be required to rely on a fuggin' fuzz box!!

There is way too many high gain options out there that sound GREAT...to do something as gay as that!

Comment

I hear you Steve..it's in our heads and hands...a amp is an extenstion of that. It has it work with and inspire you.

You gotta be happy with your stuff, eevn when it comes down to picks, strings ect or fuggums!

try everything..the choice is yours!

Comment

Working...
                      X