Vetta combo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta combo project

well I finally decided to close in the back of my Vetta combo. I'd heard this can improve the punch and bottom end on the heavier amp settings, and that's the one area I'll knock the combo on, the open back leaves you wanting more on many of the high-gain patches.

the bass player in my band supplied some spare plywood and tolex pieces from one of his cab projects, and he smartly suggested putting fir strips in on the sides as a frame to mount the back on.

I glued the tolex on to the back panel and fir strips. this took some work on a workbench with clamps to hold the drying pieces together and fitting/gluing the edge wraparounds. I used water-based DAP contact cement. worked great.

then once those were dry (20 mins) I screwed the tolexed fir strips into the sides of the amp, leaving just enough space for the back panel to fit in and rest on the bottom edge of the open back cab. one of the coolest things about this project, is that the only mod to the amp itself is two screw holes in each side.

then I mounted the back panel to the fir strips, via two screws on each side. finishing washers provide something of a professional appearance.

it turned out far better than I expected, and it certainly sounds much punchier now with more low mid-range. I'll have to air it out at rehearsal to really judge the difference though.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Feel on the underside of the amp - if there is any heat sinking, then you're likely smothering your amp and letting more heat build up.

May not be an issue, may also burn up the power section in it. Personally, I would have just bought a sealed 2x12 and ran it with that, or bought a head and seperate cab.

Looks like you did a good job though... but I'd check for cooling issues.

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete. yeah the heatsink is in the front of the amp on top, and there is a good sized vent right there for it. so I think I'm ok. but that is one thing I'll need to watch which I did not entirely consider.

Comment

and yeah I'd love a head/cab half stack but I'm skint right now as they say, and wanted to get the effect without the extra cost. I'll go that route with my next amp purchase.

the other reason I kept it is that the size of the combo is really perfect for what I'm doing (small bar stages usually).

Comment

Working...
        X