Versatile, high gain amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Isn't it still only a one-channel amp? Sean is looking for going from clean to distortion at the push of a switch.
    Toe, it's 2 channel and is foot switchable. (Two complete seperate preamps) I love the amp to death. I almost slept with it last night
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Oh, I don't know why I always thought that amp was only one channel for some reason. My bad! I must be thinking of something else.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've played SLOs... I don't get the 'blackface clean' at all. The 5 options are just factory mods that they have offered forever, and don't really make the amp that versatile. Hell, the haynes mod is clipping a cap off the volume control. It tames some of the brightness.

An SLO is a killer amp, but I wouldn't call one versatile by any stretch. It does one thing very very well, but it's certainly not a 'jack of all trades' amp.

Pete

Comment

Then one needs a Line 6 product or a Sansamp PSA-1 or some other modeling amp.

I know I can get the different sounds from my SLO, but others may need more listening experience to be able to tweak it.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Another option would be a new Splawn Quickrod or the more saturated Nitro.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Then one needs a Line 6 product or a Sansamp PSA-1 or some other modeling amp.

I know I can get the different sounds from my SLO, but others may need more listening experience to be able to tweak it.
              Well, the one I played had the owner there to help me tweak it, and he had it for several months, and owned one before that. He had plenty of listening and playing experience with the amp. Clean sound was ok, but a real blackface fender sounds better. Soldano Overdrive is classic and awesome, no denying that.

However, if you honestly think an SLO in a recording studio would out do a blackface fender for cleans, or be able to do 'the plexi thing' as well or better than a real Marshall plexi, then you yourself might need a little more listening/studio experience. I'm glad you like your amp, but I'm also curious how many vintage fenders and marshalls you've owned or played through regularly for comparison.

Is the SLO an awesome amp: yes! Versatile replacement for a variety of tube amps - hell no.

Pete

Comment

Sean if you have the money... Diezel.... no need for boost pedals at all... and they so versatile it's a joke
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

for the price of these high end amps couldnt u a/b 2 amps like a soldano avenger & a bassman head or twin reverb for cleans.

Comment

You've tried a lot of gear and have your sound for distortion so I'd run a 2 amp setup. Get another amp for cleans and just use an A/B box to switch. That seems like the logical thing to me anyway - the extra amp would not even need to be that big because cleans can be had with a smaller amp a lot of the time.
                    If not a 2 amp system you should be able to get something that will switch your amp channel and a loop for your pedal in one switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      Sean if you have the money... Diezel.... no need for boost pedals at all... and they so versatile it's a joke
                      Where as Diezel's are VERY good... I prefer ENGL SE tones over both the Herbert and VH4.

Herbert's channel 2 with the midcut switch is divine as is the VH4's channel 3 but, the other channels are just okay to me.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I personally hate engls
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind.
                          Sam

Comment

I played thru my first Mesa the other day. My buddy bought a NOS Road King 1 head. Holy shit, that thing does everything and then some. I highly reccomend them even if you don`t use all of teh bells and whistles. Versitile is an understatement with a Road King.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                              I played thru my first Mesa the other day. My buddy bought a NOS Road King 1 head. Holy shit, that thing does everything and then some. I highly reccomend them even if you don`t use all of teh bells and whistles. Versitile is an understatement with a Road King.

Jack
                              That's one of the amp's I mentioned. Best sounding recto series amp. I even like channel 4 in modern mode Can't say the same about the other recto models.

Endrik, in my opinion, all the German amps have a particular hi-fi ness sound going on (Hughes & Kettner probably least of all though). The ENGL SE is a pretty open sounding amp as is the Savage 120 and Blackmore. I don't like the Powerball much. In my opinion, Diezel's I think have too much of that hi-fi ness going on and can't be dialed out (except for the amps/channels I mentioned in my previous post). Although, probably mixing power amp tube types in the Herbert can make it pretty close to perfect I would think. Your mileage may vary...

Another amp for you to consider though is the Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK II... also very versatile as well as great sounding. Some of the best prog metal chording/riffage tones I've ever heard came out of it.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

The Uberschall really is more versatile than many people claim. Its always my number 1 However, if you trully want versatile then look no further than Randall or Egnater. The swapable modules in those can't be beat for versatility AND good tone at once.

Rudy
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X