OMFG Crappy Marshall Cab!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck is MDF??

I once had a Marshall 1960A or something 2x12 closed back cab. It felt pretty sturdy. A full grown man can stand on it and it probably wont break. But I never opened it up.

Just got an epiphone 1x12 cab. Made in China. Very impressed! Very sturdy, smells great, looks great on the inside, very well built. Took the front panel and back panel off, the thing is painted completely black. Not like those pics above. Good job epiphone!!
    Sam

Comment

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard a.k.a Saw dust and glue.
      -Rick

Comment

I am going to try and see if I can get some time in the coming weeks to copy this panel-for-panel in birch plywood. A friend of mine has been wanting to do a woodworking project and has the tools for it. It may give us both an excuse to do something useful.

Look for a thread on this in the coming weeks f I am not too lazy. Not counting the speakers, it looks to be $150 in parts at the most. I may not cover it if it looks good enough, but I am not holding my breath on that LOL.

I just wired it up and it sounds good, but my ADA MP-1 just died. If it ain't one thing.....
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Make sure you get the 3/4" thick Birch and not the 1/2" or 5/8" stuff.
          -Rick

Comment

I was looking at that, I was going to measure the thickness before we start, looks like the back and baffle may be 1/2 - appears to be lighter weight than the sides, bottom, and top.
            Mojo has the old style metal handles pretty cheap. If I do it, I am going to see how cheaply I can build it without skimping on materials. Except the speakers, I will either stick with English Celestions or these Guitar Warehouse Speakers.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Make sure you get the 3/4" thick Birch and not the 1/2" or 5/8" stuff.
              "MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard a.k.a Saw dust and glue.":ROTF: Yep!

The back panel is 5/8"? No? The last time I measured my 1960BC (25W Greenbacks) cab I believe it was 5/8". 3/4" for that will be too thick (not flush with the back) after it gets new Tolex put on it. That one looked like someone kicked it in and it is MDF. I'm replacing that one with birch as well.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yep... the sides, top and bottom are 3/4".
                The front and back panels are 1/2".
                Just measured.
                -Rick

Comment

Carvin uses ply-wood for the Cab construction
                  Out Of Ideas

Comment

I've got a pair of 1922s I'll have a look at their innards sometime this weekend if I can find them under all the shit that's in the garage!
                    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Yep... the sides, top and bottom are 3/4".
                      The front and back panels are 1/2".
                      Just measured.
                      OK, thanks! I would have measured before I went and got the marine grade birch plywood.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Man, i had a Kustom 4/12 cab from the early 90's that was 3/4' Birch!
                        Paid $260.00 for it! I paid way too much for my VHT FB 4/12 but
                        i can hear the quality, and i know its going to still sound great in 10 years.!

Comment

Working...
                        X