Emg Hz Emg 81/85 Or Duncan Jb (tb4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg Hz Emg 81/85 Or Duncan Jb (tb4)

which pickup sounds best for 80's/90's metal? and is it true that the emg 81 can boost/increase the gain on an amp.

hair metal to megadeth-JB
    heavier metal 81/85

Comment

Both of these pickups are capable of playing metal. Personally, I prefer the JB.

As for increasing the gain of your amp, no the EMG will not do this. It does have pretty high output, and this may be what you are referring too, but so does the JB. The EMGs are probably a little hotter, and they also work a little better if you use a long guitar cord. This will help you create more preamp distortion in some cases, depending on your setup.
      "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Try and get some Dragon 1 pups if you can find some. I have EMG 81's in my ESP MII UC ad they are fantastic for metal but the Dragons (in a PRS CU22 anyway) do the creamier 80's heavy rock sound better than anything. Like a JB but with more dynamics.

I've heard that Bare Knuckles Miracle Man and Painkiller pups do the job too. Not used em though. Yet...
        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

if you're a good player and have good tone with your fingers, go for the JB.

if you're a hack, EMG.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Really? They say that you'll get away with less with EMG's. I would agree with that.
            I use them and I wouldnt call myself a hack either. Thats pretty patronising and insulting.

Or was that a joke? I'm sure I've seen you with a Yellow Rhoads that had EMG's.
            Last edited by Mazrim; 10-12-2007, 09:41 AM.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

He's just admitting his own short comings.

Comment

i'm a hack

passive pups are more sensitive to string attack and pick placement (like where you strike the string in realtion to the pickup). also where you hold your hand to palm mute makes a huge difference with passives aswell. pinch harmonics are more difficult unless your technique is good to begin with.

so yes, i stand by my statement earlier.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                  It does have pretty high output, and this may be what you are referring too, but so does the JB.
                  You cannot even compare the output of any passive pickups to date with the output of an EMG. For example, a very "HOT" humbucker like the Dimarzio X2N has an output of 550 milli Volts. I read somewhere that the EMG's have an output of 1200+ milli volts. So, its almost double! I dont think there are any passives out there which match the output of an EMG.

Using an EMG with a tube amp is almost like putting an OD pedal in the front. It pushes the preamp tubes harder than any passive pickup will do. That could be perceived as increased gain.
                  Sam

Comment

I've had an SL2H for a little over a month and I'm digging the TB4. I also like EMG's (used to hate them but came to terms).

I'm a hack as well, but I fell I play better with a JB. I can control that bright monster with a subtle palm mute when it calls for it. I does have a great lead tone. Makes sense having it in a "soloist".

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      You cannot even compare the output of any passive pickups to date with the output of an EMG. For example, a very "HOT" humbucker like the Dimarzio X2N has an output of 550 milli Volts. I read somewhere that the EMG's have an output of 1200+ milli volts. So, its almost double! I dont think there are any passives out there which match the output of an EMG.

Using an EMG with a tube amp is almost like putting an OD pedal in the front. It pushes the preamp tubes harder than any passive pickup will do. That could be perceived as increased gain.
                      The spec sheet that came with my EMG 81 says 1 volt output, but I've never seen this spec'ed out for the JB. Anyway, if you read what I posted this is pretty much what I said. While using an EMG may be perceived as giving you more gain IN SOME CASES that is not what you are getting, gain for a particular amp does not change depending upon what is driving it. But it doesn't really matter that much. If you like the sound, that's all that counts.

In the amp I have, it has so much smooth gain that using an overdrive pedal or using my guitar with EMGs makes almost no difference as far as the amount of preamp distortion is concerned. In most, if not all amps with a solid state input stage, it won't make a huge amount of difference either. But, YMMV
                      "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

which amp do you have?
                        Sam

Comment

There is a difference... the X2N will blow away the EMG!

I'm a fan of EMGs (I prefer the 81 or a 60 in the neck with an 85 in the bridge), but the X2N stomps all over the EMGs.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            There is a difference... the X2N will blow away the EMG!

I'm a fan of EMGs (I prefer the 81 or a 60 in the neck with an 85 in the bridge), but the X2N stomps all over the EMGs.
                            If you say so Joe! Chuck Schuldiner used it! What more assurance do I need?
                            Sam

Comment

which amp do you have?
                              Star Gainstar 30. It kicks much righteous ass

And it sounds great when I use my guitars with JBs in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X