Emg Hz Emg 81/85 Or Duncan Jb (tb4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    For example, a very "HOT" humbucker like the Dimarzio X2N has an output of 550 milli Volts. I read somewhere that the EMG's have an output of 1200+ milli volts. So, its almost double!
    Almost? Did you miss maths at school?

Comment

No, but did you? 550x2= 1100 not 1200. So, yes, it IS ALMOST double.
      Sam

Comment

There is a difference... the X2N will blow away the EMG!

I'm a fan of EMGs (I prefer the 81 or a 60 in the neck with an 85 in the bridge), but the X2N stomps all over the EMGs.
        Agreed 100% (except for the EMG fan part). I have one guitar with an 81 in the bridge (I haven't had time to rip it out yet) and it has roughly the same output as a Duncan Custom...at least thats how my Mesa Studio .22+ sees them. I just got rid of an X2N two days ago in another guitar. It was unbelievably high output. Dynamics? What dynamics?

I hate to admit this because I've been trashing EMG's for years but the 81/SA combo that I have in one of my Rands actually sounds pretty damn good through my rack system. It has been my intention to swap them out but I may actually leave them in there for awhile and see if they continue to grow on me.

Comment

X2N is a nice pup but the 81 stomps it into the ground. I also find that you have to be more accurate with an 81 than with a JB and so would suit a "hack" less.

Oh well. We all have different opinions eh? Thats what makes it interesting.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            which amp do you have?
            a crate fw-120 212 combo.

Comment

I have both the X2N and the EMG 81 in use and i have to say i like the 81 more. I wouldn't go as far as saying either of those two destroys the other. As always it's a matter of personal taste. Of course the X2N is a very cool pickup on it's own. But that's also true for the Bill Lawrence L500XL i have in another guitar.
              And yes the EMG 81 has a very high output. And with tube amps this can benefit your distortion. Actually some time ago the second guitar player of my band recorded something through my rectifier and we had to adjust more gain at the amp since he used some passive p/u's against the 81 in my soloist which i normally play with the rectifier.

Flo
              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                Agreed 100% (except for the EMG fan part). I have one guitar with an 81 in the bridge (I haven't had time to rip it out yet) and it has roughly the same output as a Duncan Custom...at least thats how my Mesa Studio .22+ sees them. I just got rid of an X2N two days ago in another guitar. It was unbelievably high output. Dynamics? What dynamics?
                LOL I used the X2N for years, and I kept the gain on my amps cranked. If I turned the gain down 4 or 5 notches, it didn't change at all since the X2N is so high output! :ROTF:
                Since it is so high output, though, it splits very well and does a closer approximation of a single coil pickup than any other humbucker I've tried splitting.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a WCR/RS shredder humbucker and it is 16 k output and it splits the best of any humbucker I've had. One coil is 9k and the other is 7k I use the 7k in the split mode and it is crystal clear and very vintage strat sounding but still has major balls on the dirty channel.
                  I do like WCR pickups.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have owned the JB, X2N, EMG 81 and 85. JB sounds nice and raw and the output compared to the EMG 81 is similiar..but the JB has more of a growl to it than an 81. The 81 is great for high gain stuff without getting muddy no matter how you push it. Cleanest distortion and is sensitive and sounds more accurate to your picking especially playing fast intricute riffs. The X2N is just all out distortion with less tone in my opinion than the unique 81 and 85. Very high output..but I have to admit that at some points it does get muddy. The 81 to my ears has more crunch than the X2N and the JB is more of a fuzzier sounding distortion with growl. The JB sounds the most organic and has the best cleans out of all of them.

Comment

Definitely JB for 80's metal

Comment

Working...
                      X