Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying out an old Carvin x-60 A tube combo....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying out an old Carvin x-60 A tube combo....

as I miss having a little 1x12 tube amp to carry around to small jam sessions, etc. Wow. It needs a little TLC and some minor repair to the channel switching,,,but the overdrive/gain on this thing is amazing. My other amp is a SLO-100 head, but although the tone is heavenly, it's quite a hassle to carry a head and cabinet everywhere. After spending many, many years trying to find a newer Marshall that would do it for me (JCM900 head, JCM600 combo, JCM2000TSL head, JTM60 combo), I guess what I've always craved was American overdrive! Out of all the amps I've owned in 20 years, the SLO is still the "one", but this carvin is a pretty close second place. Seriously!!!! Wow, never played a Carvin amp before, besides the T-100 tube power amp.
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM.

I had an X60-B I think it was.
    Sounded great, had 6550 tubes. the clean was crystal, the overdrive was tight.
    I think I didn't mess around with the tubes and overdrive pedals enough with it, it wasn't perfect for me, but I think it could have with a little tweaking,

Maybe a speaker change - had a G12M-70 if I remember correctly.
    It had potential to be great.

It couldn't get more tube sound in a tighter package with a 12".
    It was cool to fit it all in, that amp, two pedals and two guitars in a Jeep Wrangler.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Well, after A/Bing the amp along side my Soldano SLO, I guess there is quite a difference,,,,,,with the SLO WAY ahead of this little old Carvin in the overall tone department (obviously) for my tastes, but after some serious TLC and repairs, I think the Carvin will sound even better than it does in its current "injured " state. (it's in dire need of new tubes also, pre and power amp) Anyway, for a little tube practice amp, it still sounds pretty killer,,,,nice thick gain and harmonics galore. And for my tastes, I still like the Carvin more than the Marshalls I had (just personal preference) as the gain structure is more like my SLO,,,,,less fuzzy somehow,,,more smooth and.....oh, I don't know. This is all so subjective. Anyway, I'll probably buy this little Carvin. It really has impressed me. Nothing against Marshalls either,,,,I just don't think they were for me, no matter how much I wanted them to be. Of course, I never tried a JCM800 or older one, either!
      Last edited by lynchfan6; 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I had one of those for years and finaly sold it. I put a boss SD1 in front of it and sounded great. Mine was in excellant shape when sold it. Just ask JGCable

Comment

Great amp. Takes pedals extremely well. Can't say a bad thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            Great amp. Takes pedals extremely well. Can't say a bad thing about it.
            just curious, what's it sound like when a tube amp does NOT take pedals well?
            what happens in those situations?
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
              just curious, what's it sound like when a tube amp does NOT take pedals well?
              what happens in those situations?
              For instance.. Rectifiers don't take pedals well.
              5150's don't either.
              What you get is a loss of clarity, tightness, tons of increased noise and an overall mushy tone.
              You can't even use most pedals with an SLO.

Comment

Working...
              X