New amp war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp war

Okay, it was about time I should consider replacing my Spyder 212 and so I got three candidates. I mainly play stoner, drone, sludge, noise ... anything heavy sounding and of course muddiness is a must.

Now here are my final candidates and you should help me decide: Fender Twin Reverb Silverface, Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 or Fender Hot Rod DeVillle 410.

I have already tried Twin Reverb and DeVille 212 and they pretty much sound similar but DeVille is a real screamer compared to Twin... Now I have been tempted by the Twin and DeVille 410 for so long that I just want to know what's the major preference over these two... I know that all of these amps can be cranked up and destroy the living room if you want. Should I get a second-hand Twin or a brand new DeVille 410? Used Twins and new 410's go for the same price (app. 1,000 EUR). So what do you suggest among these three? I was considering the 4x10 setup so the amp can breathe easily in my room and also when jamming with the band, but I have never tried this amp and don't wanna order it in case I don't buy it.

Help me out.

Why the Fenders?
    What year is the Twin?
    They are great for some styles, but inherently "bright".
    Most of your muddines will come from the cabs, anyhow.

Comment

i love silverface twins and the 4x10 devilles. the twin is 85 watts, unless it has a master volume then it should be around 105 watts. the deville is 40 watts. both are great at what they do. the deville will break up sooner. the twin will be crystal clear almost al the way up to 10. the tin will have better reverb (in theory). what are you looking to do with the amp? run pedals? play blues? country? surf?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

If you're looking for big bottom tone and muddiness......you're lookin' at the wrong amps.Fenders have a solid reputation of being one, if not the best amps out there for clean,articulate well defined tone.
        Last edited by Outlander; 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Stoner? Sludge?

Get a bass amp!
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I wanna combine my Line 6 and Fender. Don't worry about the tone, every single thing can be pulled out of these thingies. I have tried my friend's Twin Reverb some time ago and did a temporary setup which sounded just the way I wanted.

I want a Fender because it is not mild when considering clean. The perception of sound varies among people. I want an amp with excellent clean channel, the rest is done with boosted and modified distortion pedals (which I use 3 at the same time - all with different setting so they can also be played individually or in pairs). I really don't like e.g. Marshall's clean sound. And I want something that delivers such smooth clean that it basically rips through ears. It has to be noticeable, not anywhere in the background.

Also the defined tone which Fenders do provide is also one of the things that I am looking for. If I get an amp which has well defined clean channel it is not that hard to make it muddier with overdrives and distortions than modifying a built-in clean channel. Clean channel is very important to me because I always build my sound based on the clean channel of the amp.

And don't be mistaken - I play a Strat, tuned to C with 0.70 gauges, so it is not anywhere near the original Strat. I have also changed the capacitors with bass ones to deliver deeper tone. Dunno, I like it. The thing is that I cannot decide among these three amps. They all sound fascinating to me, but I want something that's durable and reliable. And don't wanna buy something, then bring it home and after several weeks I see it's a piece of s**t, that it distort when going above room volume, the frame vibrates and that it will just collapse one day. This amp and the rest of my minimalist rig and guitars will be participating my funeral some day, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal View Post
              And don't be mistaken - I play a Strat, tuned to C with 0.70 gauges,
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Having owned Peavey Classic 2x12 and 4x10 combos and gigged with both, I think I'd go with a 4x10. No problems with the 2x12, but I always ended up adding a cab under it, at which point I didn't gain much convenience or portability over a half-stack.

What kind of pedal(s) are you using for distortion? My brother had a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde that was pretty cool for that type of sound.
                sigpic

Comment

With that clarification, I would try to get a non-master volume '70's twin.
                  I understand the sentiment about the clean sound of a Marshall, I think they lack the lower midrange, sound a bit "nasally". I drive a 60's Deluxe Reverb through a 2x12 with an overdirve and can get all the bottom you would care for. On standard tuning. Those amps are tough as rocks, and not PC boarded.
                  Newer Fenders are notorious for having problems with the printed circuit boards, and the way controls are mounted on them. Even a semi-beat up older turret board is worth the hunt, in my opinion.

Comment

I guess that style of music must be blues or pop. Those amps certainly are NOT metal amps.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I guess that style of music must be blues or pop. Those amps certainly are NOT metal amps.
                      He's using his Line 6 as a driver, wants something else to carry the tone forward. EVH used wet/dry combinations in his rig to do a similar thing. I do it with a Peavey Studio Chorus/ Fender Deluxe Reverb, and a Kustom Commander. The Kustom carries the "mix". I switch between the Peavey and the Fender for either a very dirty distortion, or a blues drive. I think I understand what he's getting at.

No, the Fender is not a metal amp, but you'd be surpised what kind of sounds you can get out of them, given the right pedals.

Comment

Maybe you should try the Laney VH100 Iommi.

Comment

I've never played through a Laney since they're hard to find over here, but from what I've heard recorded I'd think it's the amp for you.
                          Scott

Comment

if you want qa non master volume twin, get it!! that would be better than the deville, to me....
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X