Engl Thunder or Screamer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Thunder or Screamer?

Anyone ever use either one of these? Do they need a pedal for heavier metal? And how are the clean tones?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

I've played thru a Screamer. Doesn't need a pedal for heavy metal. Sorry but, I don't recall how the clean channel sounded but, ENGL's are capable of nice cleans in general. In my opinion see if you can go with a used Blackmore or Savage 120 instead. All around better sounding and more versatile (especially the Savage). SE best of all but, the price tag... feel free to swing by me when the wife isn't around to play thru my SE.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I've got a Screamer and it'll do everything from Fender cleans (yes, that good) up to Priest/Megadeth/Metallica metal with ease without a pedal. The circuit is basically the same as the Blackmore head but running 50w instead of 100w. A very versatile amp. The Thunder is a stripped down version of the Screamer.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJ9MqMulFc

This might help. I am getting one of these babies soon. It is a solid gain machine.

Comment

That was pretty cool! I also found some cool clips at Rock Solid Amps. I think one of these might be my next amp.

http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?c...s&mid=2&ct=151

Comment

Im asking the same question to myself at the moment.

I can get a Thunder for 500£ or a Screamer for 750£.

Question is; does the difference between two worth 250£ ?
              If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

The Thunder has only one EQ and one Gain. So you cant go from Fender clean to ultra aggressiv just by step on the switch. But if you play with the guitar volume or hotten up the signal, you can do so.
                I like that amp.
                '97 KV1 alder

Comment

I've played the Screamer combo it's a nice amp sounds like an engl has good cleans adn the engl crunch...

I Havent played it at a decent volume so that why have been why i didnt think it sounded so great...

And if you only need one channel then the thunder is a good choice if you need seperate eq/cleans then the screamer is the better choice...

Comment

Uberschall..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I used a thunder 50 for a while. it was the version without reverb so it had the extra volume/gain control. good amp but a bit thinner on the gain than many amps. for metal I'd boost it. reminded me of some older marshall's

Comment

Can you get good tones out of the screamer at low bedroom levels? I really want to try one as well but there is nobody around here that has one. The clips I hear sound really good.

Comment

Well, I get a good sound at bedroom level from the Thunder.
                          But it's 50W all-tube - hope it's not ONLY for bedroom.
                          '97 KV1 alder

Comment

Working...
                          X