Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a proper metal distortion pedal... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well i never heard a Keeley modded MT-2. Seems like they are pretty cool. I am still satisfied with my MT-2. I use it with my Soloist (also EMG 81) but like i said most of the distortion comes from my rectifier.

The drummer of my band works in a music store and he told me the new ML-2 is great. I guess i have to check it out sometime.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

I picked up a Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor for $20 on eBay, and although it lacks any EQ controls, it can do both Mesa and Marshall tones reasonably well. I took it to a friend's place to try, because he and the other guitarist in his band are using identical crap Crate amps with the exact same settings, and I've been trying to convince him to try something new. The improvement was immediately obvious, and he could get some nice fat lead tones out of it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, as I was complete surprised by it. With an EQ pedal to tweak it a little, it is way more versatile than it looks.
      sigpic

Comment

The ML2 is a good pedal but he already said he knew of it and from what he described, I think the ML2 may be a little too much gain? I dont know.

I still think the MT-2 is a great pedal with good dynamic range (Especially the modded ones) although maybe I havent given the ML-2 enough time. I know they say the MT-2 sounds noisy and nasal but its easily EQ'd out if you have a good amp.

Still, there's nothing like going to a well stocked shop and trying shit out.
        Last edited by Mazrim; 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM.
        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Haha this is Edinburgh dude, there is no such thing as a well stocked shop :P The ONLY metal pedals available are the Metal Muff (not until 3 months ago) and the MT2. They're out of ML2s at Sound Control

Subdecay Blackstar is next on list for now!

Comment

My guess is move out of that 3rd world country to where they sell the good shit.LOL
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes, you would never believe we actually invented heavy metal here, would you?
              All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
                I think it may end up being it...

I realized my favorite tones ARE actually Mesa based. DOH. I just always had such a negative image of the Dual rectumfrier that I never realized it's the basis for a lot of tones...

Anyway I really like Nevermore's tone on Psalm on Lydia, Down on their latest album and ESPECIALLY Edguy's on Navigator and King of Fools.
                For the AMT dudes... which would suit my needs best y'all think?
                I've got the AMT California Sound, and that's supposed to capture a
                Mesa vibe. It's a great pedal, and relatively cheap too. Very quiet,
                even with lots of gain. I don't see how you'd be disappointed with
                one...

Comment

Ooh thought of one. I don't know if they still make them but the Tech21 Sans-amp has some nice sounds.
                  Scott

Comment

How about a Mk1 Marshall Guvnor?
                    Ibanez Tube Screamer?

(Both of the above mean the original issues, not the re-hashes)

+1 for the Sansamp too.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with a Boss DS1 to spice things up a bit, but using a half decent amp to begin with, after all, you can't polish a turd, but there you go!
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                      Ibanez Tube Screamer?
                      That's an overdrive pedal.
                      Sam

Comment

I suggest a modded metalzone. You can get a metalzone to sound great with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                          I've got the AMT California Sound, and that's supposed to capture a
                          Mesa vibe. It's a great pedal, and relatively cheap too. Very quiet,
                          even with lots of gain. I don't see how you'd be disappointed with
                          one...
                          AMTs have some kind of noise gate built in to help with the noise. I love my Extreme III.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

find a tech21 XXL. i got one, its the only distortion box ive used since. it goes from light OD to full on distortion. its very versatile, the warp control is great goes from real tight chunk to mushy almost big muff fuzz.

Comment

MI Audio Crunchbox.

Go to www.miaudio.com

I own a Blues Pro myself and it also hit metal territory as well. They are great pedals.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Used to have one. I loved it though I had to sell it. Building one again. But not a metal pedal really.

Comment

Working...
                                X