8" speakers - good for anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" speakers - good for anything?

I've been looking for a cheap little slanted cab deep enough on top to support a compact head or shallow rack case, and I'm not having much luck with 4x10 or 2x12 cabs. I have a Peavey 2x12 vertical slanted cab that comes close, but that's my main recording cab and I want something else for gigs. I found a little Hartke guitar cab that is a 4x8", 60W at 4 ohms. Since I use a Peavey Classic 60 power amp for my "mini" rig, I thought this might be worth a shot, but have no idea how 8" speakers will hold up. I didn't have time to try it.

This is the cab: http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail...ckCode=EG00825

The price is right ($100) and it's in mint condition. There's nothing else available locally, and the best I can do for even three times the money is either an unloaded Lopo vertical 2x12, or maybe a banged-up no-name. I'm not suggesting that Hartke guitar cabs are anything amazing, but I'm more interested in whether or not 8" speakers will be worth bothering with.
    sigpic

8" speakers do not resonate well enough for good guitar sound.
    nor do 10" speakers. but both work great for bass because of that.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

bass

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        nor do 10" speakers.
        Well, I used to gig with a Classic 50-410 combo, running my pedalboard into that rather than the power amp/cab "stack" that I use now. It sounded pretty good to me, but was almost 30 years old and looking its age, or I'd still be using it.
        sigpic

Comment

I´ve heard alot of great guitar tone come out of 10´s, but I´ve never come across a quality 8". I´m not saying that they can´t sound good, but I´ve only heard them in little practice amps.

Comment

What about this compact Crate 4x12? I bought one a few years ago, and it's pretty nice sounding, and lightweight. It's an 8-ohm cab, and it actually handles 120 watts and not 100 like the site states.

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the Crate G412 100W 4x12 Cab at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Simple answer.

Nope.

I have a pair of Randall 2 x 12 mini slant cabs that kill bugs dead. They are fantastic cabs. Carvin makes a really nice 2 x 12 and you can't go wrong with the Mesa Boogie 3/4 back 1 x 12. That sucker throws some serious sound and bottom end. Small too.

Comment

Personally, I think rocktron's 8" speakers in the v50c sound pretty good.
                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

i have a small 4-8 cab that had some BS speakers in it. i took those out and put in 4 eminence 8"s that were 30 watts 16 ohm and i wired it for mono @ 4ohms. i think it sounds great for jammin at home or at practice but i wouldnt play it live just cause my stage head is 350watts and the cab is only 120.
                  i guess it just depends on what you're lookin for. theres no way 4-8s will sound like 4-10s or 4-12s, but it doesnt sound horrible.IMO

Comment

I'm old.:ROTF: I just got through reading the Johnny Cash autobiography. He was talking about the old Sun sessions and some of that stuff was played through a Fender Champ. 8 inch speaker amp. I guess it all depends on what sound you are looking for. I guess that would not include Heavy Metal.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Hmmm, 8 inch speakers don't sound good?

I used to think that myself...hell, I used to think that 10 inch speakers sucked as well. That was until I got one of these. This amp sounds amazing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...deo.google.com
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                      X