Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes and Kettner Switchblade?

Hey guys,

I have been amp shopping for awhile now and I keep coming back to this Switchblade amp that they have at Sam Ash. Last night I played a PC1 through it at the store and it sounded amazing.

Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Thanks

Alex

My bandmate tried one and after trying several other amps he bought it.
    Its a great sounding amp and the effects are perfect for live use.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      My bandmate tried one and after trying several other amps he bought it.
      Its a great sounding amp and the effects are perfect for live use.

Cool...thanks.

Comment

I got one and it really rocks. 4 channels which are all usable and musical. The programability of the FX and channels is a major plus - 128 user presets!!! Definitely pushed my Vetta out of the top spot. Think of it as a tube Vetta!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
          I got one and it really rocks. 4 channels which are all usable and musical. The programability of the FX and channels is a major plus - 128 user presets!!! Definitely pushed my Vetta out of the top spot. Think of it as a tube Vetta!!!
          Pete, thats exactly what he thinks too. If I didn't need so many different effects and sounds I would be using one too.

Comment

John - you can always throw a g-major/gt-8 into the loop, which is also progammable per preset, then you're set.

Comment

I'm suprised that the Switchblade doesnt get much hype bc it really is a sick amp. I have read on Harmony Central that there are some issues with the foot pedals and some people have said the amp gets "stuck" on its settings....thats the only scary part about this amp.

Maybe its too cutting edge for its own good! Lol.

Comment

H&K Switchblade Pedal.........

Is that a fact about the Switchblades' foot pedal? Because my co-guitarist bought that amp recently, only a couple months ago and his pedal crapped out at an important gig this week. It should be under warrantee, I hope they have an improved replacement footswitch and not just the same thing that will have the same defects.

Comment

Originally posted by boogie1 View Post
                  Is that a fact about the Switchblades' foot pedal? Because my co-guitarist bought that amp recently, only a couple months ago and his pedal crapped out at an important gig this week. It should be under warrantee, I hope they have an improved replacement footswitch and not just the same thing that will have the same defects.

Well, it seems that its becoming a fact...it seems like the amp is great but is not very stable...harmony central has a lot of horror stories...

And since I am a Sam Ash stalker I actually went back there a few weeks later after trying it for the first time and the amp was DEAD...didnt even power on...so that means that after weeks of being field tested ..just bombed out...suck bc the amps SOUNDS great.

Comment

There are like 100 times less Hughes & Kettner amps made and shipped here to the USA then say Marshalls. So since very few people have one if you hear something bad about 2 or 3 it suddenly makes it "all"

I've had 3 H&K's so far. No problems whatsoever from my Tube 100 or Switchblade. My Triamp MKII had a problem but, because somebody was inside of it and didn't 100% know what they were doing. I just got it back and it is KILLER sounding! Like an idiot I sold it while it was being fixed to someone who's wanted to try one and now that I got it back, I wish I didn't have to ship it out but a deal is a deal
                    Last edited by Robotechnology; 10-26-2007, 11:10 PM.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

We put it through the paces at band rehearsal.
                      #1. an internal fuse blew 3 times. We replaced it three times. The last time the amp stayed on.
                      #2. The footswitch cable grommet was missing. When we plugged the footswitch into the amp it immediately blew a fuse.
                      #3. Sounded great in the store. At band rehearsal I thought it sounded a little too transistorized and solid state. There is a ton of electronics giving this amp its gain because it has a ton of it and it only has 2 preamp tubes. It has a slightly compressed, thin generic tone. Don't get me wrong... it sounds good.. just not great. It reminds me ALOT of the Carvin MTS3200 and the Marshall 2210. We are returning it and he is going to be trying out the Carvin V3, the Zack Wylde Marshall head and possibly a Voodoo amp.

Comment

You think the MTS and 2210 sound thin and transistory?

I've never played either just asking as the MTS is something I've considered ordering in the past and I've only heard good things about it. Also it seems like you and I have similar sound preferences

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          You think the MTS and 2210 sound thin and transistory?

I've never played either just asking as the MTS is something I've considered ordering in the past and I've only heard good things about it. Also it seems like you and I have similar sound preferences
                          Yes, the MTS clean channel is probably one of the best cleans I have ever heard in a 100w high gain head.
                          To my ears... the MTS3200, the Marshall 2210 and the H&K Switchblade all have a transistor sound to them. The best way to describe it would be if you took a low gain amp and put a distortion pedal in front of it.
                          Believe it of not... if I had to rate all three I would choose
                          #1. MTS3200
                          #2. 2210
                          #3. Switchblade

Also.. because we had to take the Switchblade apart I got a good chance to poke around inside of it. Yuck... not cool. Lots of electronics, plastic cased PC mounted jacks etc...
                          Another thing.... the Switchblade has a very lifeless EQ section. Most of the controls barely make a difference once you get them past 9:00 o'clock.

Comment

Working...
                          X