No announcement yet.

Which BBE Sonic Maximizer should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which BBE Sonic Maximizer should I buy?

Hey guys,
    I'm currently using a MXR 6 band EQ in the loop of my Mesa Express with really good results. I think that I could get better results out of BBE unit but I just don't know which would be the best model for what I want. It doesn't have to be a stereo unit but I don't want one of the stomp boxes either. Which unit do you all think is the best?

from what i've read Mesa's dont do well with bbe sonic maximizers, but i use a 362 with my crate shockwave. its a stereo unit, but my head only has a mono fx loop so i run one side thru the loop and my vocal mic thru the second channel. try a search in the forum for bbe and mesa you should find some good info.

Comment

422A. Ask Bill.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I use the Sonic Stomp with my 6505+, couldn't use the amp without it, brings it to life. I've tried the BBE with a Cobra and a Dual Rec...awful.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
          422A. Ask Bill.
          And he'll tell you "...but it's discontinued. Look on eBay. Fugger."

Comment

Actually there should be some threads about BBE's. Try searching. I seem to remember Bill ranting about how great it is with a 5150. Many times.

Comment

I remember a while back about some people saying that the really liked them with the 5150 and 6505 heads but they didn't do well with Rectifiers. In response to that, I tried the MXR 6 band EQ I'm using with the Express in the Rectifier I used to have and it sucked... bad. When I plug it into the Express though, it acts very much like the graphic EQ's on the Mark series and really brings it to life. I remember what a BBE did the the ADA setup I used to have and I'm thinking that it might do better with the Express than the EQ I'm currently using. So I thought I might try one out if I could find one but I didn't have a clue which model to even look for because there's so many! I think the one I used to have was a 422 or something like that....

Comment

You have to remember that a stock Recto has a parallel loop, meaning the signal is split and the mix knob determines how much of it is dry and how much is run through the processor. I would think you'd get poor results using EQ's, BBE's, etc... because the full signal is not passing through the unit (even with the knob on 100%), and it needs to for those type of devices to be effective.

Comment

I use the 362 because you don't really need the one with 4 knobs since its just 2 362s in one basically. I run a 5150 II with the maximizer in the fx loop and it helps the sound out alot
                  ----------
                  Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    And he'll tell you "...but it's discontinued. Look on eBay. Fugger."

Yep, the BEST sounding ones ever made..PERIOD!!!

They make a stereo set sound amazing. If you're only using one amp..then you have a back channel, in case one takes a dump..

You can score a 422 cheaper than the new ones which sound like processed, cock sizzle!!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had the 422a..it has the same tone as the 422. BUT there is some "automatic" bullshit , that has a annoying ass humpin' sound..get the 422!!!

But there is a bypass for that crap. But I remeber it still bled thru..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        I had the 422a..it has the same tone as the 422. BUT there is some "automatic" bullshit , that has a annoying ass humpin' sound..get the 422!!!

But there is a bypass for that crap. But I remeber it still bled thru..
                        Interesting, I never noticed any bleed on mine, and it's useful to A/B the tone sometimes.

Comment

I use the 362NR, with NR being noise reduction. The 362 is more of a general-purpose maximizer than guitar-specific, but I find the NR portion to be great for taming high-end hiss. I run my BBE after an EQ to further tweak the tone in my recording rig.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've been hearing a lot about the BBE stomp maximizer working well with the 6505's. What are your guy's settings on it?

Comment

I have a 5150 and a Triple Rec. I have used my 422a with my 5150 and have gotten great results but with the Triple Rec it totally sucks. Even if I bypass the 422 it still sounds like crap, I have to literally remove it from the loop whenever I connect my rack to the Mesa.
                              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Working...
                              X