ENGL Invader 150...tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Invader 150...tomorrow!

Well I did it, I finally made a decision and bought an ENGL Invader 150. I spent nearly four hours trying out a number of amps and this one won hands down.

SLO100 - nice tone...with an overdrive in front.

Diezel Herbert - I thought Dual Rec's were bad, this was awful.

Bogner Ecstasy 101B - nice tone...with an overdrive in front.

JVM 410 - the 900 series lives...

Line 6 valve combo (2x12) - a dream at low volume, sounds like a valvestate when cranked...

Powerball - slightly better gain tone than the Invader (slightly), Invader won because of more features.

EVH lll - excellent, but quite noisy. Clean was really good.

Dual Rectifier - just to compare with all of the above...I can never go back to this.

Both the Powerball and Invader are the only amps that I've ever tried that didn't need a boost in front.

Did you shed the JCM combo?
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

No, I've still got the Marshall. I've had it for 10 years, find it really difficult to part with. I'm still getting rid of the 6505+ (still one of the best amps ever) and the Cobra. Didn't part ex because of the money I'd lose.

Comment

You're into death metal or something along those lines? Never heard the SLO or XTC to NEED a boost pedal for the right amount gain before. I am curious to hear an Invader myself. I prefer a Savage 120 over a Powerball, would you say it's more open like a Savage? I have an SE head which I LOVE!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

It's not really an issue with the amount of gain, it's more about colouring/shaping it with a boost...smoothing it out.

I really like the rhythm sound of KsE...that's what I'm after. Solo tones never worry me too much as my own personal technique, melody, structure etc don't depend as much on tone as the rhythm does.

More open sounding hits the nail on the head as far as describing the Invader.

Comment

Very cool, congrats!
            I finally did try out the 100 watts version last month and compared it to a Savage 120 and a Fireball side by side. This is the first and only amp I found so far that I might end up buying in the future...

I actually have been so happy with my own Fireball in the past that I passed on the chance to try out an Invader two times in a row. But now I did and I have to say it is an awesome amp all around. It sounds very "full and complete", so to say, with the typical ENGL sound flavor. Dialing in a comparable tone to the Fireball, it had more bottom end and less fizz, just awesome tone.
            Definitely the king of the ENGL line, although the "best lead tone award" went to the Savage on that day. Might have gotten there on the Invader with more tweaking though, I'm not sure.

I'm looking forward to your review!
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Can't go wrong with ENGL. I love my PB.
              Haven't tried an Invader, please give us an in depth review when you get yours!!
              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I had a powerball, and was thinking of the invader, but I got so bored with the Engl's tone after I got my Uberschall that I'm glad I didn't buy another Engl, now that the engls gone I'm really into a more modified Marshall tone! If you want tight articulate tone for rhythm, then check out the Splawn Nitro! FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, anyhow I'd like to see some pics of your gear and congrats on the Engl!

C

Comment

I'm picking it up from Manchester today, had to wait until they got hold of the Z9 footswitch. I'll post pics later.

Comment

I'd like to try an Invader 150 so bad
                    I got a Powerball and I'm staified about the tone, but I think Invader tone is really great
                    SEPTYCAL GORGE MySpace page
                    SEPTYCAL GORGE official website

Comment

Well I've got it! I'll post pics later. Haven't been tempted to use an OD yet, but it is only in the house. I'm going to gig with it tomorrow night, I'll do a review after that. The clean channel is both warm and glassy (?). I get bored playing clean real quick as I don't know any clean stuff aside from the obvious Killer Of Giants intro and Diary Of A Madman etc. I've just spent 20 minutes on the clean channel!! That's never happened before...does anyone know any chords?

Comment

Gigging with it straight away????? You're a braver man than I, but I'm sure you'll have its predecessor in the boot too, right?

We await your verdict!
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I'm going to have to take along the 6505 just in case. But I have to say, straight out of the box, this amp is fucking incredible. I've used my SD-1 and TS9 for so long it's gonna feel scary gigging without them, but so far (a few hours I know) this ENGL feels right. Never gigged without a boost in the front end. It'd be nice to play without the controls to Jodrell Bank at my feet.

Comment

I really like several ENGL's including my Powerball. Imho, they are underrated. I've had my Pball only for a month, but I'd love to pick up a Savage 120. The Invader 100 (I don't gig so what do I need 150 watts for?) is also nice and the SE is amazing. The only problem would be deciding between the 6L6 and EL34 version...
                            My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                              I'm going to have to take along the 6505 just in case. But I have to say, straight out of the box, this amp is fucking incredible. I've used my SD-1 and TS9 for so long it's gonna feel scary gigging without them, but so far (a few hours I know) this ENGL feels right. Never gigged without a boost in the front end. It'd be nice to play without the controls to Jodrell Bank at my feet.

Ignore most of the above...I gigged it last night...I need to gather my thoughts...they're not good so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X