No announcement yet.

ENGL Invader 150...tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are kidding???!!! This doesn't sound like good news.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

It takes time to LEARN how to properly dial in any new amp at gigs. I'm not surprised, frankly. Obviously a lot of people know how to dial in a 5150 or a Marshall JCM800. ENGL's have more complex tone shaping controls than either of those amps, so it takes time to learn how they respond, especially at gig volume.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
        It's not really an issue with the amount of gain, it's more about colouring/shaping it with a boost...smoothing it out.
        You're better off trying an EQ in the loop. Maybe you need to try some different pickups?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

eagerly awaiting more information....

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
            Ignore most of the above...I gigged it last night...I need to gather my thoughts...they're not good so far...
            I've been surfing the net and drooling over Invader pics for hours today, the full GAS package... now I read this... and it's the second sign of bad news in short time.

Does it have anything to do with too much noise on channel 3 and 4?

A buddy of mine from a local band bought an Invader 150 sight unseen last week and had to send it right back because he had that problem, and even the internal noise gate couldn't get rid of it.
            He just told me about that two days ago when I saw them live, with him playing through a crappy Marshall and sounding like arse.
            He had sold his ENGL Savage to get the Invader...
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I've spent several hours (not long I know) with this amp, both at home and at the gig. I turned up two hours early to the soundcheck so that I could tweak it. I sorted the midi presets in the Z9 at home and set up a decent balance on one of the loops. Further to this, I printed off several front panel diagrams so that I could try out several recommended tone settings from various forums I've been lurking around in, plus the settings to my Framus, JCM 4104 and the 6505+.

Nothing worked, nothing. The built in noise gate is no match for an NS2, annoying noises creep through, chokes sound when you least expect it. No use adjusting the threshold, anything less than max is useless.

The gain...harsh, brittle, buzzy, tinny...cold.

The clean channel...amazing...have to be honest.

I tried it with the HI Gain on, then off, noise gate on and off, bright in and out, with a TS9 in front, an SD-1 in front (this amp will not tolerate a boost in front).

In the shop, playing at quite loud levels, this amp sounded almost perfect. At home, same thing.

I played the first set with it, thought I'd give it a fair go. Second set was (as advised by Rsmacker) played with the 6505 retrieved from the boot of my car. I could have kissed the Peavey as soon as I wound up my guitar volume.

As soon as I cranked this amp, all tone evaporated.

Comment

Ouch!

So it does only sound good on its own and loses it in the band mix?

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
                  Ouch!

So it does only sound good on its own and loses it in the band mix?

Did you know this already? You're correct.

Comment

No, I was asking because I also have only tested it in the shop and LOVED it. As did my buddy who sold his Savage for an Invader...

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Sean, it's a choker when you are looking forward to getting something and then it just doesn't do the business. There's a lot of it about - that it-sounds-great-on-its-own malarky. Don't lose heart yet though, maybe it just needs a little more time, maybe the margin between good and bad are tiny so it needs absolute tweaking rather than ball park settings.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thats weird, almost sounds like something is wrong with the amp. I have an Invader 150 and I can't turn the bass up past 4 because it is so thick sounding. I got rid of my Powerball and Uberschall after i got the invader because it sounded that much better than both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                          Thats weird, almost sounds like something is wrong with the amp. I have an Invader 150 and I can't turn the bass up past 4 because it is so thick sounding. I got rid of my Powerball and Uberschall after i got the invader because it sounded that much better than both of those.
                          Ohhhh that sounds nice.

Please tell us more, I like reading something positive about stuff I'm eager to buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X