Choosing a Mic Pre/Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Mic Pre/Comp

I want to compress the hell out of my vocal so that no matter how much the volume of my voice alters during a take, the end result being that it stays the same volume, thus making it easier to mix with my songs. Basically a "set and forget" thing. Otherwise, I'd wanna use a direct out of my multitrack (line level), compress it to fuck, then record back onto a different track of my multitrack. Even better if I can do both. I'm thinking possibly a Focusrite unit at the mo.

Any recommendations as to which outboard mic-pre/comp to go for? I'd be looking to get one on ebay or one that's cheap but not shit. My condenser mic requires phantom power which my VS1880 has, but the comp FX on that unit are weak.

Thanks.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

i have been using the universal audio SOLO/610 mic preamp for a while. i like it a lot. i also have an awesome avalon vt737sp that is KILLER. for compressors, i use a few brands. my FAVORITE is the dbx162SL. it is awesome!!!!! but i equally enjoy my alesis, avalon, and drawmer compressors.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I once used a Behringer 2100 Composer (not the wank "pro" version) as an insert on a Tascam 564, but being as my Roland VS1880 doesn't have inserts of any kind, I'm looking for something with mic and line in's. I'm looking at spending around £100-£200 on ebay.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

you need the Focusrite Penta. they're discontinued so you should be able to find a good deal on one used.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
        X