Help!!!! Amp GAS or what should I try next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!! Amp GAS or what should I try next

Since I started trying and buying tube amps, I thing GAS has taken a hold of me.

I've bought/played/sold the following:

Randall RM50 - great amp but needed 1 more channel
    6505+ - played it for 10 minutes and sold it

H&K Switchblade - keeper - love the channels as well as the presets/midi

I'm now looking for a versatile 3/4 channel tube amp - I've tried the Marshall JVM and that sounds really sweet, but at 2K after tax, it's kind of steep.

If I keep under 2K, what options are out there - new and used? I'm all ears......

A used Soldano SLO-100 of course. Although they are 2 channel, 3 if you count the distortion seperate from the crunch and clean channels.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

How about a Mesa Mark IV or a Carvin V3. I still am yet to own a Mark IV.
      Its one of the few amps I have never owned.

Comment

What was wrong with the 6505+ that made you want to sell it?

Comment

I liked the clean channel and the footswitch crunch, but the volume difference between the 2 was too drastic since the crunch is on the clean channel. I use a neck single for clean and the bridge hum for crunch. Backing down the gain on the gain channel didn't sound as good as the clean w/crunch.

Plus I got it really cheap and was able to turn it around for something else fast.

Comment

What about going rack? You can get a great preamp and poweramp for under 2k easily.

Comment

Splawn QR
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
                What about going rack? You can get a great preamp and poweramp for under 2k easily.
                I've went thru my rack phase - tube heads only. Carvin V3 looks interesting, but I just hate to send it back if it doesn't work out.

Comment

I have to say 5150 III as well. Separate presence and volume controls for each of the 3 channels, quiet foot-switching, etc.

Comment

I was just reading a GW from '03 yesterday and saw an ad for the Mesa Roadking. It's got 4 channels, each with different modes, plus you can choose between EL34s or 6L6s (and maybe even a mix of both, not sure) with wattage from 30 up to 100. Sounds great to me, any here have/used one?

I'm sure you could find one used for under $2K.

JSX is another option.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I was thinking Boogie, but never had a chance to check it out. I tried a XXX and I didn't like that at all. I found it very muddy on the clean and dirty channels. Is the JSX better?

Comment

JSX is a little better than the XXX. Mesa Road King is a KILLER head. Had one of those before too! The VHT Ultra-Lead is a different sounding 3 channel head. ENGL Savage 120 is also a killer sounding head. All can be had used for under $2K (VHT sometimes under $2K).
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Many choices here and the right one you need to find on your own. Everyone' opinion is polarized based on personal choice, brand loyalty, prestige, marketing, etc.

From my standpoint, experience and tonal requirements I can say I am just about done with Marshall.
                          My roster currently includes; Mesa RK, Soldano L13, ENGL PB, Rivera KHR55 & KTRE w/verb and 5150 combo.
                          I play mostly dry and when I use FX I use a bit of chorus and delay.

The amp that has gotten the most attention when playing out and commented by other people including other guitar players is the KTRE. Very toneful and a lot of choices for channel options that are not totally obvious unless you know Rivera's.
                          Loud as all hell with a clean channel that is immaculate and gain resources to peel paint off the wall.

The RK is by far the most complex and intricate tube amp I've owned. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. One thing is for sure, it sounds incredible and you will never get bored with it.

Again it comes down to what YOU want out of an amp.
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

[QUOTE=lhrocker;1002131]Since I started trying and buying tube amps, I thing GAS has taken a hold of me.

I've bought/played/sold the following:

Randall RM50 - great amp but needed 1 more channel

If you like the sound of that one, the RM100 is a 3 channel head or if you go rack mounted with the RM4 you can have a 4 channel pre-amp, just add your favorite power amp and you're set. Both should come in at considerably less than $2 new and on the used market MUCH less

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

You're not alone....

I thought I was DE-G.A.S.'d but I guess not. While on the job, I was cruising to a delivery and saw a hole in the wall music store have something I REALLY wanted for a long time when I was a kid. I promise to post a pic if I can get it finalised, but man, it felt like I saw Cindy Crawford in the store au naturel waving me in for some fun if you know what I mean!

INSTANT blood pressure increase hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X