Marshall AVT Preamp tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall AVT Preamp tube

So I have a Marshall AVT100 combo, and have kinda been disappointed with it lately.

Its got an ECC83 preamp tube, and I was wondering what i could put in its place to improve the sound of the amp.

Sorry, the underline won't turn off
    The ECC83 is indeed the same as a 12AX7, or 7025.
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-02-2007, 03:30 AM.

Comment

I doubt that changing the single tube in a hybrid combo can make a huge difference to the sound...

Comment

I'm not even sure if you are able to change them out. I wouldn't bother, spend money on a different amp or pedal instead. That one tube won't do that much, I'd say.

Comment

A friend of mine took the preamp tube out of a vs100 just to see what would happen, he said it just wasnt as loud. I don't know for sure myself. Chuck from Death had a modified vs head.

Comment

Get a real amp.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
              I'm not even sure if you are able to change them out. I wouldn't bother, spend money on a different amp or pedal instead. That one tube won't do that much, I'd say.
              I guess you'd have to unscrew the chassis and pull it out. I've got an old '92 Valvestate 2x12 stereo chorus combo, bought it brand new when it came out, and it's still going strong, I've never even thought about changing its preamp tube.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have the same amp. Contrary to many peoples prejudice against them, they are amazing amps and are capable of achieving almost any sound you want from them. I play everything from blues to metal on mine and it does them all quite admirably - you just have to set the eq's right.

That being said, I've tried many different tubes in mine. Though it doesn't make a LOT of difference, it's still noticeable. My favorite tube in mine is the EH (Electro Harmonix) 12ax7. Very warm and musical, and reduces some of the "grainy-ness" of the ECC83...

To install it, just take out the four screws on the top of the amp, slide it out, flip down the tube retainer clip and switch the tubes. Don't forget to unplug the amp first...

Comment

It is possible, I had to change the preamp tube in my AVT50 once, because it started to sound like (even more) tinny crap.
                  Unscrew the chassis, pull it out, the preamp tube sits right on top. Easy.
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                    Get a real amp.
                    Very helpful post, rookie.:ROTF: Since you are made of cash, maybe you can buy one for him.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                      Get a real amp.
                      Don't you think if i could afford a better amp i would asking about this one?

Shadowcat, how big of a difference did changing the tube make?

Comment

Well, the old tube was wearing out, so the sound of the amp got alot more fizzy and nasty (think bee in a jar).
                        The new tube brought it back to normal, but I couldn't notice a difference in character.
                        I didn't spend any time on tube choice either, just went to the store and got a 12AX7 from Marshall.
                        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I would suggest Electro Harmonix or JJ 12ax7 preamp tube. I think the JJ's have a little more bite than the Electro Harmonix,but I like them both.

Comment

Working...
                          X