How does a rig work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a rig work?

Sorry for this newbie post, but after 10 years of playing I've never had a rig and I just don´t understand how some stuff work... stay with me on this one.

How is it that you match the preamp and the effects? What I'm trying to say is that on a multi FX unit you change patches and on each patch you change at the same time the pre, the eq, and the FXs that you have on it. But in a rig, all of those stuff are separate and I figure that you have to change each thing with different pedals or switches, or can you do it all together?

This has always been my #1 question that I want to know before having a rig of my own. Please explain.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

well i dont know what pre-amp is so i cant help, but just buy a marshall stack, theres ur rig

Comment

Originally posted by wes225225 View Post
      well i dont know what pre-amp is so i cant help, but just buy a marshall stack, theres ur rig
      BWwhahahahaahahaahahhahhah!!!!! Great job.........

Comment

It's usually done via MIDI using either a controller or a switching system...so, essentially you can have say a preamp patch which will coincide with a specific patch on a multi-effects unit as one sound etc.

The brands/types are only limited by your wallet and likes/dislikes of various manufacturers....

I have a Rocktron Chameleon preamp along with a Randall RM4 as my preamps and using a Rocktron Expression as my effects....and I have a DMC switcher to help simplify things.

It's a great and versatile system...

Comment

To expand on VACharvel's answer, the MIDI controller essentially lets you link one button to multiple switches, so you can have button 1 change the preamp to use tone A, turn on the chorus effect, turn down the reverb level, turn up the flanger, and make you some toast for after the show.
          Scott

Comment

Should I use the ADA MP-1 foot controller to control the MP-1 and other things on the rack? or should I get a newer foot controller like the Behringer 1010?
            '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
            '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
            custom made Les Paul
            VOX Tonelab LE
            Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
            ADA MP1
            BBE 422A
            Lexicon MPX-G2
            ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
            Support Your Local 81

Comment

It doesn't really matter what controller you use to be honest...all it's doing is sending a MIDI signal to "map" out the changes....

Comment

Working...
              X