Carvin V3 review.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin V3 review.....

It rocks. It rocks big. Its built like a tank, it can get sounds anywhere from Mesa to Marshall and it has 2 smart loops. If any of you have any questions.. ask away. We just used it at band rehearsal plugged into a Marshall 1960a with V30s' in it. Its a killer amp and could possibly be the deal of the century for $1000.00.

V3

I've said that right along! It is a killer amp for the money. I kind of regret getting rid of mine but still love my JVM. Now I want to try the 5150 III heh heh

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    It rocks. It rocks big. Its built like a tank, it can get sounds anywhere from Mesa to Marshall and it has 2 smart loops. If any of you have any questions.. ask away. We just used it at band rehearsal plugged into a Marshall 1960a with V30s' in it. Its a killer amp and could possibly be the deal of the century for $1000.00.

Comment

I want to know if it can be used for blues and classic rock tones. I dont do nu metal. Im talkin bout tele/strat blues and cleans.

Comment

I have been interested in Carvin's stuff, but there are just too many damn amps to choose from!

V3s, MTS

Marshalls of all sorts!

Laneys!

Peaveys!

I want a budget Tube amp that can get me a good Warrent DeMartini tone!
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
          I want a budget Tube amp that can get me a good Warrent DeMartini tone!
          Used Laney GH100L

Comment

Originally posted by JerEvil View Post
            Used Laney GH100L
            those do go for dirt cheap on ebay
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
              I want to know if it can be used for blues and classic rock tones. I dont do nu metal. Im talkin bout tele/strat blues and cleans.
              For blues and classic rock you should be looking at either a Carvin Nomad or a Belair if you are interested in Carvin. Buying a V3 for blues and classic rock would be a waste.

If I had to compare the V3 to another amp I would say it has similar traits to a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a modded JCM800 with a little Legacy mixed in.
              Its a great amp for any type of rock or metal.

Comment

John, are there any Mesa Mark II/III/IV liquid sustainy lead tones locked inside the V3?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                  John, are there any Mesa Mark II/III/IV liquid sustainy lead tones locked inside the V3?
                  I would say it has some Mark III Purple stripe tones in it for sure.
                  It leans towards the Marshall high gain tone so to my ears it doesn't sound that much like a Mark series. Its tight and focused like a highly modded JCM800 or even a Soldano SLO. It does have the bottom end and thunk of a Rectifier though. You can knock crap off of the walls with the EQ expander engaged and the bass level on 3.

Comment

how does the gain on the v3 compare to the gain on the 5150?
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      how does the gain on the v3 compare to the gain on the 5150?
                      It has the same about of gain but with more tonal options.
                      It can do a nu-metal type gain with the gain level on 6. Just like a 5150.

Comment

WOW! That is good to know!
                        Sam

Comment

John - I'm thinking of swapping out my Switchblade for a V3. How would it compare tonally? Also, is a footswitch included or can I use any generic Midi controller? I currently have the Vetta, Dual Rec and JCM900. Will this compliment my setup?

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                            Also, is a footswitch included
                            According to the Carvin catalog, the footswitch needs to be purchased seperately. I think it costs about $50 and its got 4 buttons. one for each channel and the boost switch.
                            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                              I have been interested in Carvin's stuff, but there are just too many damn amps to choose from!

V3s, MTS
                              Trust me, you do not want an MTS... Probably the worst amp I've owned other than my 65w Rogue combo. I've heard great things about the V3, though

Comment

Working...
                              X