Carvin V3 review.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
    John - I'm thinking of swapping out my Switchblade for a V3. How would it compare tonally? Also, is a footswitch included or can I use any generic Midi controller? I currently have the Vetta, Dual Rec and JCM900. Will this compliment my setup?
    Pete, the V3 smokes the Switchblade. No comparison. They will throw in the 3 button switch and a cover. They did that for my bandmate. You can use any generic midi controller which is the better option.

Regarding complimenting your current amps... it will never replace the Vetta. It will pretty much replace the Dual Rectifier and it sounds a ton better than the JCM900 although.. I REALLY like the clean channel on the JCM900 series amps. I actually like the JCM900's alot.

I do think however that you really don't need the V3 with the amps you mentioned. An amp to look at to compliment what you have would be a Pitbull or a Powerball.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmazingBlob View Post
      Trust me, you do not want an MTS... Probably the worst amp I've owned other than my 65w Rogue combo. I've heard great things about the V3, though
      You must have gotten a dud because I had 3 of them (2 heads and a combo) and I thought it was a great bang for the buck amp. I thought it reminded me alot of a budget 5150 with a fantastic clean channel. It also has a very friendly loop.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        You must have gotten a dud because I had 3 of them (2 heads and a combo) and I thought it was a great bang for the buck amp. I thought it reminded me alot of a budget 5150 with a fantastic clean channel. It also has a very friendly loop.
        I'll admit the clean channel was great, but I never used it much

I had a lot of trouble with the distortion, though, I always found it to be harsh and fizzy yet dull. I had a really hard time being heard in my band, and I much preferred the 5150 I owned directly afterward. I wouldn't mind giving one another try though, necessarily, they are an excellent value.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAmazingBlob View Post
          I'll admit the clean channel was great, but I never used it much

I had a lot of trouble with the distortion, though, I always found it to be harsh and fizzy yet dull. I had a really hard time being heard in my band, and I much preferred the 5150 I owned directly afterward. I wouldn't mind giving one another try though, necessarily, they are an excellent value.
          I agree to a point. I did find the MTS a little thin sounding in a live band environment. It does have a ton of gain though. I put a GE-7 in the loop and I was able to dial in all the frequencies that the amp wasn't putting out naturally. Most of them were in the midrange section.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            According to the Carvin catalog, the footswitch needs to be purchased seperately. I think it costs about $50 and its got 4 buttons. one for each channel and the boost switch.
            One thing the EVH 5150 needs on the floor board...is a button for
            that DAMNED Bypass! Major pain in the ass reaching around the backside
            everytime! Should be on the floor.

Comment

Working...
            X