gt-8, POD XT live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gt-8, POD XT live

with you guys that tinker with these things. i need some help. i'm dog tired of amps and there non-versitilty. seeing as i just jam by myself at home. i was thinking that i would just get one of these and hook up some quailty headphone.

Which is better for the money?
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

The quote I got when asking that question was...

Apples to oranges. That and there's too many haters/fanboys to ever get a real unbiased poinion.

Comment

the topic's already been dealt with...

Sam

Comment

I've got the POD XT Live, and I'm not sure if he still does, but JG used to run a GT 6 or 8, I cannot remember.

Comment

The GT-8 is better for live. The XT Live is better with headphones. One thing to keep in mind though... the GT-8 has a KILLER acoustic simulator in it. Its worth the price of the GT-8 alone!

Comment

Is there a Rack version of the GT8?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
              Is there a Rack version of the GT8?
              GT-Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                GT-Pro
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  The GT-8 is better for live. The XT Live is better with headphones. One thing to keep in mind though... the GT-8 has a KILLER acoustic simulator in it. Its worth the price of the GT-8 alone!
                  so for my purpose, the XL is better, but gt-8 has a bad ass acoustic simulator.
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post

The reason I mentioned that the XT Live is better is because you want to use it at home with headphones. The XT Live has a fantastic PC editor and most of the factory patches on it are set up with headphone players in mind.
                    The GT-8 sounds better but it has a crappy editor and IMHO its really intended for live use. It sounds great through the headphones too but editing and downloading patches via Line 6 Monkey is really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                      Ive owned both... and imo the Pod was too small of a window "LCD"
                      and took much too long to get a huge sound out of it. (maybe just me,
                      but my GT-8 seems like a much better overall unit. If the POD is like the
                      BOSS, then maybe you discover great tones out of it, in a couple of months of tinkering. Out of the box, the Gt-8 is good..but not great..
                      4 months later, its a MONSTER of tone! I have a Quiet Riot/Vai tone with
                      this GT-8, but it did take some time to coax it thru the programing.
                      Ive heard the POD can be great also...i just had cosmetic problems
                      with the small window and button layout. I like Roland/Boss products for
                      their straight forword layout. But yes, im a biased GT-8 owner!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        Ive owned both... and imo the Pod was too small of a window "LCD"
                        and took much too long to get a huge sound out of it. (maybe just me,
                        but my GT-8 seems like a much better overall unit. If the POD is like the
                        BOSS, then maybe you discover great tones out of it, in a couple of months of tinkering. Out of the box, the Gt-8 is good..but not great..
                        4 months later, its a MONSTER of tone! I have a Quiet Riot/Vai tone with
                        this GT-8, but it did take some time to coax it thru the programing.
                        Ive heard the POD can be great also...i just had cosmetic problems
                        with the small window and button layout. I like Roland/Boss products for
                        their straight forword layout. But yes, im a biased GT-8 owner!
                        Like I said earlier.... the XT Live has an outstanding PC editor. I think the onboard editing on it stinks. Boss really has its act together with its COSM technology.

Comment

the pod is more oriented towards amp and cab simulation ( the effects are nice but not as good as the gt-8 ).
                          as opposed, the gt-8 is more oriented towarsds the effects with amp and cab simulation not as good as the pod.

just my opinion of course

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                            The quote I got when asking that question was...

Apples to oranges. That and there's too many haters/fanboys to ever get a real unbiased poinion.
                            Let it go now... You'll be alright.

With that said... I would agree with Robert about the amount of time it takes to get great sounds out of an XT. I went to a different POD because I got tired of trying to tweak about 1,000 parameters to get good sounds. The other thing I will say in Boss's advantage is that if you get the "bean" POD, it's useless live without the added cost of the floorboard. Another thing to consider.
                            Last edited by chrisolson; 11-08-2007, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I think that the PODs onboard editor sucks, but use like Line6Edit or the other Line6 one (i use it, but the name illudes me now) and it's easy to tweak.

I don't have personal experience with the GT series stuff, so I don't know.

I know my recorded tones aren't bad at all either, if I tweaked more, probably could make them phenomenal.

Comment

Working...
                              X