Rig Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
    Louder isnt better. Many times louder gets to sounding muddy because everyone in the band wants to hear themsleves and they say turn me up. The next guy says turn me up and so on and so on. Its a nightmare mixing for deaf musicians.
    I used to play bass in a band where the drummer caused this.

I have a couple of pieces nailed down, I think. I like the Mesa Boogie 2:90 or perhaps a 2:50. Apparently what I thought I understood about the cab wattage wasn't exactly right; it had something to do with peak wattage, I think.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input. The pre-amp thing is still up in the air, you are right about there being so many of them to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
      I have switched to a rack rig or rack/pedal rig for all of my gigging and recording, so I can make a couple of suggestions here. Your best bet for a power amp would be a stereo model that can be "bridged" to run in mono. Just about every power amp manufacturer has made these at some point. I use a Peavey Classic 50/50 bridged to 100 watts mono for gigging, and a Carvin Tube 100 (50W per side in stereo) for recording. Peavey no longer makes tube power amps, but Carvin has a newer version called the TS100. Although VHT gear is generally out of my price range, their power amps get a lot of good reviews, and I see them in use fairly often. There are of course the big names like Mesa and Marshall, and probably others.

For speakers, I have used a wide variety of Celestion, Eminence and Peavey, but lately have focused more on the actual cab in the interest of easier transportation. Four of my five current cabs are 2x12, and two of those four are vertical slanted cabs. For recording purposes, I find the Vintage 30s to be a bit too bright on their own, but I always like to have them around. If you put together a stereo setup, consider a pair of 2x12 cabs or a stereo cab with a mix of speakers.

Here is my recording rig. The tuner has an A/B switch built-in, which goes to the two preamps and (eventually) to the left and right inputs of the stereo power amp. From there, I either go to a stereo cab or two separate cabs:

hey, i see you have a rocktron voodu valve.
      how does it integrated with the bbe sonix maximazer?
      i ask because i own the same preamp and i was thinking to buy a bbe 362 or 422.

thanks

Comment

Working...
      X