DiMarzio YJM experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio YJM experience?

I need to get some pickups for my strat and I think I want to do an H/S setup with a Dimarzio YJM at the neck. Anyone have a recommendation of a good bridge humbucker for me? I don't want any super high output stuff, was thinking maybe a PAF Pro or maybe even less output it's hard to tell what goes with what.

Also should I use 250k or 500k pots - assuming I use a separate volume for each pickup with a master tone.

Pafpro and a YJM sound like a good match. YJM sounds like a HS3 but with staggered pole pieces, nice sound and the low output works well in the neck. 250k will cut some high end with those pups so I'd go with a 300k or 500k pot. I personaly like both of those pickups, the Pafpro IMO has a tight low end with big mids and smooth highend but is medium output. I like them in LPs, in strats I like a hotter pup but if your after a lower output setup then you got a nice pair there, they both respond very well to a hot distortion box.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

PAF Pro is a very good match. The Air Norton and the Steves Special work good too. I think the PAF Pro is a better choice though because the YJM is fairly low output.

Comment

Cool I want to be able to get my gain from my amp instead of having hot pickups. Makes getting good clean tones a lot easier.

Comment

I've had excellent luck with a YJM in the neck and either a JB Junior or a Lil'59 in the bridge. Both are not really powerful, but have good tone.
          The JBJ to me is the best.
          Strat God Music
          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

+1 on the neck.
            I just put one in a Kramer Stryker a while ago,
            and love the natural tone. I used the mini switch for the
            tap, also.
            The Bridge is a PAF Dimarzio, and I dummied the five way and just
            used three volumes for full blending capability. No tone knob, either.
            Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Funny...I just bought a YJM and an HS3 for a USA strat parts mutt. I think I'm gonna go with the YJM in neck and HS3 in the middle position. I have a Super 3 and a Breed for the bridge...not sure what I'll go with on the bridge
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Isn't super 3 really high output?

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                  Isn't super 3 really high output?
                  yep both Super 3 and Breed are higher output pickups, Super 3 is hotter.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                    yep both Super 3 and Breed are higher output pickups, Super 3 is hotter.
                    I believe it's hotter than the Super Dist as well.

Comment

i like the YJM with a PAF pro.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X