Suggestion for a combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BADASS AMP right there!!!

On a serious note, get a Valveking, great amp for the money, lots of gain unlike what some people say.

Or, if you're after a super small valve amp, get a peavey royal 8 and an OD pedal.
    Last edited by dangerous_dave; 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
      If he couldn't crank up a SS crate because of neighbors, why would anyone suggest a tube amp?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jet, but what you're looking for is what is commonly called a "bedroom amp" on here. Which would be a smaller (30 watt max) modelling amp - Vox, Roland cube, or Spider.
      i live in an apartment an use a mesa/boogie mark IV head and 1x12 cab for my bedroom amp. it is tube, but it sounds AWESOME at super-low volumes.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Damn my head is going to explode with all these suggestions. I'm looking for a good all around amp... a warm sound and a metal sound...
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I'd go with a Tech21 Trademark 10 or 60.

Comment

Try the Peavey transtube - Either Envoy 110 or the Bandit 112. Might be what you are looking for.

I see they also have one that is 2x12. I'm thinking of picking that up when a after x-mas sale happens.

Comment

Vox Valvetronix.
              Scott

Comment

I have a DSL100 1/2 stack at home, but at my apartment in Cleveland I use a POD 2.3 and some very good Sony headphones. The POD solution works really well, but given a choice, I'd rather play at home and crank the shit up. I can deal with headphones but it is not the greatest.

Comment

I'm either going to sell the GT1200H or trade it..

Comment

Must get tube....
                    I have a 5watt amp...

Good stuff!!
                    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
                      Must get tube....
                      I have a 5watt amp...

Good stuff!!
                      I was looking at one of those 5 watt or a ZVEX Nano http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html or a Torres http://www.torresengineering.com/tintondelamp.html

Comment

One of my favorite amps at low volumes (and at high volumes ) is the now discontinued Mesa Nomad. So I guess I'm echoing the comment about the Mark IV.

BUT

Today, I went to the local superstore and tried out the spider valve. And HOLY SHIITE if that isn't the best bang for your buck. Sounds great at low volume, and if you turn the gain up past 1, it will tear your head off. Effects seemed a little unfriendly; not bad sounding, but without a manual, I wasn't really able to get the effects to blend to my taste. Fortunately the dry sound is so good, you'll likely dial back the effects. Solid state power sections DO NOT do it for me and this Spider Valve - well, it's no joke.

Comment

That spider valve looks promising.
                          I bought one of the first Line six amps that came out, 7 or 8 years ago... was really cool.
                          I've spent the last two hours checking out reviews/youtube demos...
                          I think I might need one of these for my basement.
                          (so I can noodle while watching the Pats in mantown!)
                          hehe
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                            i live in an apartment an use a mesa/boogie mark IV head and 1x12 cab for my bedroom amp. it is tube, but it sounds AWESOME at super-low volumes.
                            I'm glad someone else brought up a Mark IV as much as I push Mesa people might start to think I work for them, I just love their amps.

Comment

Okay, don't anyone laugh at this suggestion but, I found that THE BEST sounding "bedroom amp" is a Zoom Fire 36. That's right, please don't laugh. I use it at very low levels and I can get just about any type sound imaginable. Effects are great too. Basically it's a Zoom 505II pedal in a speaker cabinet. I really can't say enough about the distortions you can get out of this at very low volumes. Very high gain distortions too. I can get anything from super clean, Acoustic sim, AC/DC, 80's hair to VH and Metallica. Yes, I have my Marshall and my Line 6 Spider II for louder stuff, but for bedroom playing, you really can't beat it. In all fairness, I have not tried the new Vox's etc, but I don't want to because I am that happy with this Zoom Amp. BTW, they are selling them really cheap at Sam Ash. For under $200, it's worth a try.

Thank you for not laughing.
                              Guitars:
                              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                              1988 Model 2,
                              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                              RR3
                              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                              2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
                              X