Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Blackouts

I am so tempted to try the blackouts. If they live up to the hype of what people say about them, I'm switching all of my EMG's out for them. What I'm looking for is a nice crunch, high gain, thick sounding, somewhat warm, nice top end, decent tight bottom end, good mids for riffs, high output, less noise/feedback, a tone like a Duncan JB equipped in an alder wood neck through body (think Jackson Soloist series) but with more gain and thickness. Can the blackouts do all that? Then you've helped me with my holy grail of tone..haha.

Things I don't like about the EMG 81. Thin sounding. Not enough decent lows. High's are too screechy, but somewhat nice when you need to cut through the mix when soloing.

Things that I don't like about the EMG 85. Tone is a little too rounded. Great crunch, but there's a distorted fuzz mixed in it at the same time.
    Other than that, the EMG 85 is one of the best pickups I've ever heard and it's what I'm currently using and I've used a ton of pickups.

It sounds like you are describing the Dave Mustaine set more than the blackouts

Comment

I've heard Dave Mustaine's tone on his recent tour. It just sounds too fuzzy to me, but of course he runs it through a rig and different amps. I don't know if I'll be too crazy with Mustaine pickups. Someone from the Duncan forums agreed with me saying that sound like the JB on steroids. The way the blackouts have been described, they give out that nice crunch and clear distortion, which I want.
      Last edited by minh80; 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Ah I haven't heard either one personally, I just know SD says the Mustaine set is based on a JB/Jazz combo.

Comment

I think the JB alone works great but if you feel the need to try it, go ahead and let us know.
          Last edited by DonP; 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Doug Aldrich signature humbuckers by John Suhr
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              Doug Aldrich signature humbuckers by John Suhr
              I went to John Suhr's website and the description that fit the Aldrich pickups and what I want in a pickup were right down to the T. Is this a high gain metal pickup that has as much output as say an "active" pickup?

Comment

Working...
              X