Ceriatone kit build in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceriatone kit build in progress

I bought a Ceriatone kit as part of a group purchase awhile back, thought I'd mess with it a little this weekend while I wait for MTS parts to come in for Randall modules (that I modify here and there for people.) Anyways...

This is pretty much what you get. Pluses include the fact that the parts are bagged seperately for different parts (all the parts for the power board are together, all parts for main board together, all offboard parts, all pots, etc.) This is nice. Parts quality is ok, but there are some things they don't include that you should use like rubber grommets for the wires that go through holes in the chassis, shrink wrap tubing, glue (more about glue later) and others. All in all, it's not bad. One bummer is that they color code the layout nicely, but don't give you some of the colors of wiring.

Here I got a little pissed off. The chassis had a protective covering, but it didn't come off easily and was actually partly melted/torn off. It almost looked like maybe someone at Ceriatone was going to use this to build a customer's amp, noticed how it was 'sticking' to hole edges and such, so they decided to use it for a kit. This added an hour to my time as I had to use goo gone to get residue off the chassis. It sucked.

Look closely - I had to use two resistors in parallel to equal what was on the layout. This wasn't mentioned to me anywhere, and wasn't that big a deal because I know what I'm doing. However, if this was my first kit, I'd be stumped. I also didn't find my pot for setting the bias with these parts, I'll have to see if it's included with the front panel parts. If not, it's not a deal breaker for me, I probably have one laying around. However, for the first time builder, stuff like this could be a major problem. Also, the power board doesn't match up exactly with the diagram I downloaded from Ceriatone. Again, it works, but could confuse a neophyte builder.

Here's a shot of the main board. I wanted Orange Drops, so they sent those instead of mallories. I also replaced plate resistors with carbon comps because I like how they sound.

A pic of the main board with all wires, sockets installed, placed the power board so I can solder wires and cut to length. Next is to install the transformers before I mount the power board.
    More to come, this is about 3 hours worth of work so far.
    Pete

Pete, what's your comment on noise using carbon composition resistors in an amp like that? Anything to worry about? I always thought they would bring a lot of noise to a guitar amp... low wattage ones especially. I know there's more types of noise (thermal, contact?) but apart from that, I don't know much about it.

Job looks good so far
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Depends on where you use them.

Pete

Comment

TW Clone-Expression kit?

Comment

Nice report. Those seem to be some nice kits they are offering. Shame that shipping is so much and a bit of a deal breaker.

Flo
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
            TW Clone-Expression kit?
            Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
              Nice report. Those seem to be some nice kits they are offering. Shame that shipping is so much and a bit of a deal breaker.

Flo
              I'm finding out some parts are missing - he includes grommets, but one is smaller than the others and won't work. Crap. I didn't get a bias pot either. They expect you to GLUE the filter caps to the freakin' chassis - which is great, but the filter caps will then hang upside down, and be supported only by that glue and also the wiring. Bad Bad Bad idea.

It's a workable kit if you know what you're doing and are willing to source a few parts, but if I was a first time builder I'd be pissed. More pics to come.

Pete

Comment

So what's a good kit to start with if you want to build a slightly hotter JCM 800 clone?

Comment

If you don't have any experience, I wouldn't recommend any kits that are even stock marshall gain. Set your sights lower, like a Fender Champ and work up from there.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                    If you don't have any experience, I wouldn't recommend any kits that are even stock marshall gain. Set your sights lower, like a Fender Champ and work up from there.

Pete
                    Gotcha... Thanks

Comment

Hey,
                      My dads been building amps for 15years and I wanted to know if you could tell me how I should go about the JCM800 clone. I heard it lacks a bit of heavy metal gain, what should I(dad) change to get that tone.

cheers!
                      Marshall JCM800 2203
                      G12K-100w Cabinet
                      Jackson RR24

Comment

yeah its called an overdrive pedal.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by nitro_D View Post
                          Hey,
                          My dads been building amps for 15years and I wanted to know if you could tell me how I should go about the JCM800 clone. I heard it lacks a bit of heavy metal gain, what should I(dad) change to get that tone.

cheers!
                          Nitro, I just had this one built. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76453 Yes, it lacks gain for heavy metal. Without a boost pedal, it gets only into AC/DC territory. Throw a clean boost in front like a Seymour Duncan pickup booster or an MXR Micro Amp and it fills right out. It will not get as much gain as my 5150, but it will do Priest, Ratt etc. No problem. If you'd like even more gain, someone like FJAMods.com can do that for you. http://www.fjamods.com/
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, that build is looking great, Pete.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm in Australia, does ne one kno if they mod them here.
                              Does ne one have some vids/clips of a jcm800 with a clean boost eg sd-1 etc.. pedal?
                              Marshall JCM800 2203
                              G12K-100w Cabinet
                              Jackson RR24

Comment

Working...
                              X