Peavey Triple Xxx Or Crate Blue Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triple Xxx Or Crate Blue Voodoo

hi folks, i will be buying an amp head and i have narrowed it down to a crate blue voodoo or a peavey triple xxx. i have mentioned before in the forum that i am into 80's and 90's metal and i like high gain. i also like a good clean channel sound as well. some of you have given me some insight on the blue voodoo but how about the peavey triple xxx? the problem is i don't have hands on access to the peavey or crate, as i will be buying one or the other online. i guess what i am asking is how do these two amp heads compare to each other? your opinions are valuable to me. thanks,

If you like high gain, I would think the XXX would have more stock gain without having to add a stomp box in the front. Altho, guys are using a stomp in front of a high gain amp to get another setting variable or to smooth out or tighten up the distortion.

Looking at it from a practical face value comparision,
    two channels footswitchable vs the 3 on tap for the XXX.
    Passive independant channel EQ vs active on the XXX gain channels.
    Reverb vs no reverb on the XXX.

Its kinda toss up as they're pretty close feature wise. Tone wise, I would think this would fall into a Marshall vs Mesa kinda argument-similar but different. So it really depends on what you seek and want to work with.

I like my XXX, funny channel names, cheesy mudflap chick on grill and all.
    I would think the BV 150 would fall into a similar vibe, have 'about' same gain to work with, but as you know, its not how much gain you have to work with that really is the issue, but how that gain can be shaped and be made to sound. Some people think the XXX has a SS character or a odd characteristics to its distortion. I think the active EQ really gives an edge when dialing in heavy tones, I wish the clean channel had it also. Not sure why it doesn't. The clean isn't terrible on the XXX. Its a bit harsh and doesn't have a great deal of life like a good Fender has but its usable. I really like the crunch channel, I use that alot.
    I really like the variable damp and effects loop on the XXX but it really could use some reverb options.

I also think the BV 120 is a good bang for buck new. The XXX is overpriced new IMO and probably best bought slightly used.

A Peavey Ultra is also worth looking at if you are considering a XXX.
    I'm gonna throw a Splawn Comp into the fray as well if you have close to a 800-grand mark to spend on a XXX. A used JSX is also a contender if you are seeking either of these amps.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 11-11-2007, 02:29 AM.

Comment

thanks charvelguy, do you know if the blue voodoo or the xxx have good distortion at bedroom volume levels?

Comment

I can't vouch for the XXX, but the BV has more than enough gain at low volume levels, and sounds pretty decent.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Triple X is a better amp for what you mentioned you need it for. I do like the BV though. Its just not enough gain and the wrong tone for what you need it for.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            I can't vouch for the XXX, but the BV has more than enough gain at low volume levels, and sounds pretty decent.
            +1

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The Triple X is a better amp for what you mentioned you need it for. I do like the BV though. Its just not enough gain and the wrong tone for what you need it for.
              Not enough gain? Wow, I would never say that John. I can totally understand it not having the right tone or voicing, or it being a little too mushy, but mine has tons of gain.

I would say the BVs biggest downfall is the lack of low mids, and the mushiness.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

thanks guys, i think i am leaning towards the triple xxx. though the blue voodoo sounds like a nice amp.

Comment

My XXX is trace Voodoo modded. I think it kills at lower volumes but I would probably attribute that to the mod.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    Not enough gain? Wow, I would never say that John. I can totally understand it not having the right tone or voicing, or it being a little too mushy, but mine has tons of gain.

I would say the BVs biggest downfall is the lack of low mids, and the mushiness.
                    I've got the 60-watt head version, the BV60, and it's got plenty of gain, too. I also think it could use more low mids, but I usually play it through a Randall 2x12/1x15 cab that beefs it up a little more. I also run a pair of KT66 tubes instead of the 6L6.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not to add more choices but you could also check out the Crate Vintage Clubs, I know they made a 50 Watt seperate head.

I have the small combo, and it's awsome, I don't have the most refined ear (fortunately for my wallet) but to me it sounds like the modern Marshalls (which is what it was supposed to copy, I think), It's not total modern high gain like a Mesa, but you can get 80's sounds EVH RATT etc, at least that's what I tell myself.

They look like this:

Last edited by tanpsi; 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                        +1
                        well i felt my BV sounded good at low volume, but what good is it when it the sound shrinks as you turn it up. with the right additions (effects, bbe, etc.) it sounds great, but without em i'd go XXX. just my 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                          well i felt my BV sounded good at low volume, but what good is it when it the sound shrinks as you turn it up. with the right additions (effects, bbe, etc.) it sounds great, but without em i'd go XXX. just my 2cents.
                          Exactly. At low volumes the BV has great gain but when you crank it it cleans up a little too much. I also think it has a little bit of fuzz in the tone rather than the tight gain of the XXX.
                          With that said.. I do like the BV series of amps and personally.. I would rather play a BV than an XXX but thats just me.

Comment

A BBE , 422, 462, 482, really wakes up a CV and gives much help in the bottom end.

Never tries one in the XXX, ..but they sound great in a 5150. I'm assuming since it's a Peavey it'll prolly work..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X