How does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this happen?

I noticed that Pete mentioned in the thread about the VHT amps that it's "a microscope for your playing." I've noticed something similar with my THD (maybe it's amps with initials?). If my guitar is the slightest bit out-of-tune, if my intonation is off, if my technque gets a bit sloppy...I get a good rap on the knuckles for my trouble. My Laney AOR seems to be a lot more forgiving.

What exactly is the deal here? I'm really wondering what causes this.

my riveras are the same way. i don't know what causes it, but i like it. i prefer to imagine that it reflects well made amps and excellent circuit designs. maybe not, but i can dream....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

It means the amp isn't mushing out with too much gain and has some focus and clarity. I prefer it - amps with these characteristics project more and have more punch, and also imho record better.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        It means the amp isn't mushing out with too much gain and has some focus and clarity. I prefer it - amps with these characteristics project more and have more punch, and also imho record better.

Pete
        What is going on electronically with the better amps VS the cheaper ones. Im interested in electronics but dont fully understand the process yet

Comment

I think that most higher end amps have these qualities inherently, but you can estimate it somewhat in other amps very easily... turn the preamp gain down!

Comment

I've noticed this difference between my 5150 and my Mesa Triple Rec.
            Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post

Pete
              Pete, the tone out of my Laney doesn’t seem to have that much more gain (and those VHTs are also pretty high-gain, yes?). Could the fact that the distortion is coming from the output tubes rather than just the pre-amp have something to do with it?

Comment

Working...
              X