bought another line 6 - spider valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought another line 6 - spider valve

Got a good deal at the local GC on a SV 2x12 (cheaper than I could have Musician's Friend free ship it without tax, so I went for it.)

Modulation effects suck, unless you want a huge flange. Delays are nice, reverb is ok.

Channels sound good (some great), and the tube power section kicks ass.

Here's what I like: it FEELS a lot more like a tube amp, I can set up some grungy patches and roll my guitar volume down and it reacts more like a tube amp.

If you like the idea of modelling amps but didn't care for the feel or the tone, check one of these out. You might be surprised. I'm taking mine to a gig tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Pete

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
    Got a good deal at the local GC on a SV 2x12 (cheaper than I could have Musician's Friend free ship it without tax, so I went for it.)
    Cool - I got a "brah deal" at my local GC for the HD. Same scenario. I guess being paid on commission makes some guys fairly aggressive and they'll cut prices to the bone just to get the sale. Mine should be shipping around the week of 11/19. I can't wait to get this sucker!!

I'll be interested to hear your "real life" analysis. Hc guys Ed DeGenaro has gigged his out with acceptable results, and Bob Savage has done some tasty stuff too.

BTW - that 2x12 is a pretty BIG amp. Not much to gain from using a combo vs. head/cab in this instance!

Comment

How does the amp do in the low/mid gain arena? Is the amp really punchy when it is turned up? I've heard some high gain clips and I have to admit, the amp sounds nice. You can't beat the features either.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
        How does the amp do in the low/mid gain arena? Is the amp really punchy when it is turned up? I've heard some high gain clips and I have to admit, the amp sounds nice. You can't beat the features either.
        I think it does well, but if you crank the presence it really does get a digital edge to it. And of course, the louder you crank it the better it sounds... hopefully I'll know more about it once I take it to the gig tonight. Plus GC has 30 day return, so if I don't dig it at the gig, it goes back to em.

Pete

Comment

I used my 112 last night for the first time with the band. It sounded awesome and has plenty of nuts for sure. We're doing 80/90's metal and it covers those tones with no problem and I was surprised it kept up volume wise cause we are loud. I wish the effects were more adjustable but for what it is the amp is killer.

Comment

I got a chance to play this one at GC the other day. Frankly, I wasn't too impressed. Sure it sounds good, and definitely has a tube feel to it, but the models weren't different enough. Instead of a Line6, it sounded like a tube amp with an active eq and some effects built in. Of course, for under $1k you can't do much better.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              I got a chance to play this one at GC the other day. Frankly, I wasn't too impressed. Sure it sounds good, and definitely has a tube feel to it, but the models weren't different enough. Instead of a Line6, it sounded like a tube amp with an active eq and some effects built in. Of course, for under $1k you can't do much better.
              Mine came alive at band levels - and some of the models are radically different. Metal blue has a mid control that changes the feel/tone quite a bit... the models do sound a little bit alike, since they are all going through the same tube power section with the same presence setting (presence is on the power amp, and is not savable like the preamp settings).

It didn't mush out when I cranked it, the 2x12 was PLENTY loud for my band, and setup/teardown was a breeze. Oh, and it sounded great.

Pete

Comment

Mine came alive at band levels - and some of the models are radically different. Metal blue has a mid control that changes the feel/tone quite a bit... the models do sound a little bit alike, since they are all going through the same tube power section with the same presence setting (presence is on the power amp, and is not savable like the preamp settings).

It didn't mush out when I cranked it, the 2x12 was PLENTY loud for my band, and setup/teardown was a breeze. Oh, and it sounded great.

Pete
                That's good to hear Pete, sounds like something worth checking out.

Comment

Mine came alive at band levels - and some of the models are radically different. Metal blue has a mid control that changes the feel/tone quite a bit...
                  Reinhold did tweak the preamp presets with Line 6 - at least that's what their website said, so hopefully it would sound good in tandem with his poweramp.

I love the Metal blue - the mid is kind of interesting. Once you get above 12:00, it turns to a "fuzz" sounding amp, but below that, it's a mid boost of sorts - it sounds best (imo) when it's probably at about 7:00-8:00. Very cool model.

Glad to hear it worked out well. Which floorboard are you using with it? I just got the FBV Express to use with mine since I don't really toggle the effects on & off. It's got the bare necessities of what I need.

Comment

I had the shortboard (whatever the hell L6 calls it now) that I bought used with my Flex III. Had a guy from another local band our drummer knows come to the gig - he told me the guitarist in his band picked one up too. I think L6 is going to sell a ton of these to gigging musicians.

Pete

Comment

Uh, oh... Look at for the future - Vetta Valve!!

Comment

Gigging Machine

I bought the little FBV Express. 4 presets plus tuning that's all I need. I'm really liking this little rig more & more plus it's saving my back! LOL

I had the shortboard (whatever the hell L6 calls it now) that I bought used with my Flex III. Had a guy from another local band our drummer knows come to the gig - he told me the guitarist in his band picked one up too. I think L6 is going to sell a ton of these to gigging musicians.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          that's what I'm waiting for.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            I heard they're already working on a VettaValve prototype, from a guy who knows a Line 6 employee...
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I knew they would. They have to top the Spider Valve. Let's just hope Bogner is still involved!

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                              I heard they're already working on a VettaValve prototype, from a guy who knows a Line 6 employee...

Comment

Working...
                              X