5150 tube recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
    So, JJ-tubes is the stuff to buy? I see they have a full set of high-gain tubes for my Laney Gh 100 L, and it needs new tubes!!

But what's the major difference between E34l's and 6l6's? I'm looking for a high gain, heavy bottom sound from my Laney - which tubes should I go for?
    I believe, from memory, that the screen resistors would have to be changed to switch. And, a rebias.

Wait, I just looked at the specs. It should have a switch for changing the tubes. EL34's are traditionaly a "tighter" sound. I would stick with 5881's for more "driven" low end sound.

Comment

I think you should just go get a stock set of tubes. That amp sounds great. Why mess with it.

Comment

ive read reports that the newer JJ tubes pin size is smaller than the old ones, causing them to be loose in the sockets...there are places you can get the older ones still. try Doug's Tubes (www.dougstubes.com)...i think he has the older ones, and he has killer prices as well.

i need to retube my 5150 and my Classic 120 poweramp (ORIGINAL Peavey Super 6 tubes in that poweramp...and its almost 18 years old!) and im still trying to choose what i want.
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Best sounding 5150s I've heard had the stock sylvania 6L6s in them... USA power tubes, but they beat the hell out of any 'new' production tube. You'll spend a lot for them, but they will last much longer and sound better.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
            Best sounding 5150s I've heard had the stock sylvania 6L6s in them... USA power tubes, but they beat the hell out of any 'new' production tube. You'll spend a lot for them, but they will last much longer and sound better.

Pete
            + a billion..I watsed good money on GT hardness level 2 and 6..they sucked ass.

The stock Sylvanias sound GREAT!!!

if you want to kick your 5150 in the ass..these guys already know what I think is mandatory.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

JJ 6L6s kick ass in the 5150.

For preamp tubes, I'd recommend getting something along the lines of 1 Tung-Sol, 2 Electro-Harmonix, and 2 JJs. You can swap them around in the different preamp positions for different flavors, I personally like having mixed preamp tubes.

Comment

Working...
              X