Looking for a high gain amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
    oh dude, if you already have a 5150, why don't you spend the dough on a VooDoo mod from Trace. http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods-peavey.html
    I sold the Peavey, although the voodoo mod looks like it improves the amp big time!

Comment

-
      Last edited by toejam; 11-18-2007, 03:30 AM. Reason: Violation of forum rules

Comment

if you get a recto might I suggest a 2 channel, I use to own a 3 Channel and found them to be a little thin and buzzy, but the 2 channel was thick and crunchy.

Comment

Carvin V3?
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Check ebay for a used uber. They seem to go between $1900 to $2000. IMO they kill everything you have listed.

Comment

Rivera KTRE, should be able to snag one at The Bay for +/- $1500 and still have cash for a decent cab.
              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I second the carvin v3. I just had a chance to play one this week and really liked it. I've sort of been thinking about it for a while but this was the first chance I had to play one. I am seriously thinking about picking one up.

Comment

I was looking at the V3's as well and from the clips, they sound great..but there isn't a clip yet that brings out that amp's distortion to its max, but the gain is definitely there.

Comment

Originally posted by parntz145 View Post
                    Check ebay for a used uber. They seem to go between $1900 to $2000. IMO they kill everything you have listed.
                    There's not one listed on ebay yet, but I'll check every now and then. I did listen to clips of it, and yes it is a very sick amp and I'm suprised that not a lot of professional metal bands use it, but also the price tag is high..but you get what you pay for with this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
                      Rivera KTRE, should be able to snag one at The Bay for +/- $1500 and still have cash for a decent cab.
                      Killer amp, but on the clips with Mick and Jim Root from slipknot on the Rivera website, the bottom end sounded kinda flubby when they were using the kr100's, the tre version that you recommended sounded better, but there was still a bit of flubby bottom there. I do like slipknots tone..I may also look into this as well.
                      Last edited by minh80; 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM.

Comment

The clip tone of the Bogner Uberschall by George Lynch is close to the tone I want, but I believe he wasn't turning the gain high enough, but it still sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                          The clip tone of the Bogner Uberschall by George Lynch is close to the tone I want, but I believe he wasn't turning the gain high enough, but it still sounds great.

http://bogneramplification.com/GeorgeLynch1c.mp3
                          Wow,
                          That sounds Awesome....
                          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Marshall JVM410. I've owned Mesa, Carvin, Laney, and Marshall JCM 800's, but nothing even comes close to the JVM's rock/metal tone straight out of the box.

No pedals needed. Plug straight in and you can get everything from Metallica to Lynch to Shadows Fall. In 20 years of playing, I have never been this happy with an amp.

And last but not least, the price is right. You can get a brand new one for about $1,600 if you look around.
                            Last edited by Big D; 11-18-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                              Killer amp, but on the clips with Mick and Jim Root from slipknot on the Rivera website, the bottom end sounded kinda flubby when they were using the kr100's, the tre version that you recommended sounded better, but there was still a bit of flubby bottom there. I do like slipknots tone..I may also look into this as well.
                              You know what?, I noticed the same thing when I first heard them.
                              I trusted my Rivera intuition and got one with Reverb.
                              NO FLUB AT ALL, it is a monster. To the point it is making me think about selling the Powerball.
                              I have taken this baby into the studio and I get nothing but compliments on my tone. I really like this amp. It is almost looking eye to eye into the KHR-55 with Marshall 1936 & Rivera LosLobottom SUB-1 rig sitting next to it.

THAT GOOD. No BS.
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I have been thinking about getting an Orange Tiny Terror,and maybe just buying an EQ pedal, but I've heard nothing but great things about Orange in general
                                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                                X