No announcement yet.

Looking for a high gain amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the Orange is really "high gain" but I've never played one myself.

Also if you don't want to spend a lot of money I think the ValveKing kicks major ass for the price.

Comment

That tiny terror is a pretty cool amp but not really high gain. I got to borrow one for a week or so a little while ago. Although I've liked most of the orange amps I've played.

Comment

My bandmate just got a V3. Its a great amp. I have been tearing up on a stock Marshall DSL100 and I still can't find anything wrong with it. What the heck!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          My bandmate just got a V3. Its a great amp. I have been tearing up on a stock Marshall DSL100 and I still can't find anything wrong with it. What the heck!!
          I was thinking of getting a used DSL100 and having it voodoo amp modded. You think its a great idea? What's wrong with your DSL100?

Comment

I run the gain on my Uber all the way up..it's the ONLY way I get the tone I really love.

All the gain you'll ever need and tight as a midgets' snatch!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              I run the gain on my Uber all the way up..it's the ONLY way I get the tone I really love.

All the gain you'll ever need and tight as a midgets' snatch!
              That's what I'm talking about! My 5150 II couldn't do that. You turn the gain past 6, it sounds all fizzy and fuzzy, you leave it at 5, its like ok..need more gain. So, I sold it. I know a bunch of metal bands use it, get great results with it, it's a great amp for what it does, but tone-wise..it's just not doing it for me. I may have to save up for an Uberschall..but who knows..I may find something I like for about half that price.

Comment

I might as well call it a day and get a Peavey Valveking and a Marshall 1960 cab. If not enough gain, I'll get an OD pedal.

Comment

I played the VK head through a Marshall cab along with some other stuff at Guitar Center yesterday and it sounded really good. A lot better than my VK combo which already sounds pretty good.

I also tried the Peavey Windsor which IMO sucks compared to the ValveKing. It also makes a lot of noise at medium-high gain. Definitely don't buy that one.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    I played the VK head through a Marshall cab along with some other stuff at Guitar Center yesterday and it sounded really good. A lot better than my VK combo which already sounds pretty good.

I also tried the Peavey Windsor which IMO sucks compared to the ValveKing. It also makes a lot of noise at medium-high gain. Definitely don't buy that one.
                    Yeah, I figured the Windsor isn't what I'm looking for.

Comment

I don't think anything compares to an Uberschall. If thats the tone you like, save up for that one. I see them on E-Bay regularly and the $1900-2000 that was quoted above is reasonable. With Holidays approaching you'll likely see more of them soon and the sellers more motivated to sell. If thats too high, the next option I would say is a Randall RM100 and load it with the distortion module of your choice. There are 4 signature George Lynch modules, the 1086 Dan Donegan module, signature Kirk Hammet modules on the way, a few Marshall based modules and thats not counting modified modules by Pete Turley. You're bound to find a module that suits you in there somewhere.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Well if you weren't into the 5150 II (Those sound amazing with 1960AV Cabs..) Then i'd suggest looking into maybe an ENGL, those are great amps.

I didn't read the whole topic, but i'm not sure if anyone has posted this.

You can hear amp and what they sound like...Great resource.
                        Originally posted by horns666
                        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          I don't think anything compares to an Uberschall. If thats the tone you like, save up for that one. I see them on E-Bay regularly and the $1900-2000 that was quoted above is reasonable. With Holidays approaching you'll likely see more of them soon and the sellers more motivated to sell. If thats too high, the next option I would say is a Randall RM100 and load it with the distortion module of your choice. There are 4 signature George Lynch modules, the 1086 Dan Donegan module, signature Kirk Hammet modules on the way, a few Marshall based modules and thats not counting modified modules by Pete Turley. You're bound to find a module that suits you in there somewhere.
                          Doesn't it have the Uberschall module as well?

Comment

I have it narrowed down to an Engl Blackmore with a Marshall 1960 Cab or should I go with their Engl cab with v60 speakers?

Comment

That's quite a jump from the ValveKing!

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                                That's quite a jump from the ValveKing!
                                I soooo decided not to go with the Valveking. A few owners have told me to stay away as it will not give me any good gain and I didn't know what I was thinking! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X