Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under $1,000 Half Stack or Combo: Tube or Solid State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under $1,000 Half Stack or Combo: Tube or Solid State?

Looking to updgrade from my current Peavey Envoy 110. It's a combo amp that is solid state and has one 10" speaker. It sounds okay but has that computerized feel to the tone.

So, could someone recommend a half stack or combo under $1000? I'm really interested in it having gain in the vain of thrash metal like Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth.

Are all solid states going to give me that computerized tone and thus I need to get tubes? Can tubes be played at a low volume?

I don't gig and it would probably never leave the basement.

Line 6 Spider Valve
    Line 6 Vetta Combo

Comment

^ you beat me to the Spider valve. A guy at GC was playing a 2x12 SV and it sounded LOUD!!
      Sam

Comment

Could always try this...

Comment

I'd recommend against a combo. With a halfstack you can separately upgrade your amp or cab in the future if you want.

Get a cab from someone like Avatar or Lopoline and then grab a used head from eBay. Maybe a Carvin MTS

Comment

Peavey Valveking 100watt half stack!

Comment

Peavey 5150 combo
              I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I second the Valveking half stack.

As far as tubes sounding good quiet...how quiet are we talking? "Can't wake the people upstairs" means no tubes.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                  I second the Valveking half stack.

As far as tubes sounding good quiet...how quiet are we talking? "Can't wake the people upstairs" means no tubes.
                  Just low enough I don't cause permanent hearing damage. No one upstairs to worry about.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming.

Is it okay to mix brands when it comes to cabs and heads? Or are the cabs made to work with certain heads?

Comment

It's OK to mix brands... it's not OK to mix ohms and/or power handing.
                      Make sure the cab and head are compatible from that view point.
                      -Rick

Comment

I'd make my suggestions based on what kind of music you play, and some of your favorite bands.

I do agree that a head/cab setup is smart. I'd start with an Avatar cab. They're cheap and good.

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                          I'd make my suggestions based on what kind of music you play, and some of your favorite bands.

I do agree that a head/cab setup is smart. I'd start with an Avatar cab. They're cheap and good.
                          Metal!

I mostly play along to Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax but have been known to play along to some classic rock and am trying to get more into playing some clean type tracks like things from the Police and Roy Orbison.

Comment

Were going to do some pawn shop hopping for half stacks this weekend. Figure might score something pretty decent to start off with rather than go cheap tube brand new, I might be able to get a decent head for about the same price although it will be used. Anything I should watch out for when looking at used heads and cabs besides obvious abuse?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
                              Metal!

I mostly play along to Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax but have been known to play along to some classic rock and am trying to get more into playing some clean type tracks like things from the Police and Roy Orbison.
                              You know, you might want to see if you can score a 50-watt Laney AOR and that Avatar cab I mentioned. You'd come in well under a grand and have a good set-up. Maybe get that Laney modded at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X