Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual rectifiers...more than one variety??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual rectifiers...more than one variety??

So, I'm browsing through craigslist ads for dual rectifiers and there seems to a trem-o-verb, a roadster, a solo... and all i knew was that there's a triple rectifier and there is dual rectifier. So, what are all these variations in the dual rectifier? I am interested in knowing the speciality of a certain version, the no. of channels, wattage info and if the gain on it is good for post 80's metal. Thanks!
    Sam

I have a 3 channel Dual Rec - 100 watts, 2 modes on the clean channel, 3 modes on the OD channel and 3 modes on the lead channel.

There is also the original 2 channel Dual Rec.

Road King is 4 channels

Tremoverb is 2 channels with reverb

Others probably know more about than me...

Comment

Single Rectifier = 50 watts output

Dual " = 100 Watts

Triple " = 150 Watts
      There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

the Tremoverb is a 2 channel duel recto with reverb. there are 2 channel Triple recto's also. There is a roadster which is a simplified Road King. I'm sure there are more but thats all I can think of now.
        Last edited by themisfit138; 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

hmm, not many replies...

ok, essentially, is the gain the same on all dual rectifier varieties?
          Sam

Comment

It's a bit confusing because one of Mesa's amp lines is called the "Rectifier series". (solo, dual, triple, rectoverb) Those amps have a certain signature voicing that is associated with that name. However, a dual rectifier (switchable solid state and tube rectifier) is a feature that Mesa offers on many of their amp lines. (ie the Lonestar, Stiletto, and Roadking series) and has nothing to do with the voicing.

My guess is you are probably interested in the signature voicing. In which case the rectoverb is a 50 watt combo. The solo is a 50 watt head, the dual is a 100 watt head, and the triple is a 150 watt head. I believe all of these amps have the same pre-amp sub-channel voicings. However the 50 watt models only have the solid state rectifier where as the 100 and 150 watt models have the dual rectifier feature (switchable diode/tube rectification feature). If you want this mainly for hard rock/metal you probably won't need the tube rectification.

I did a lot of research on this stuff before I bought my MarkIV.
            Last edited by cookiemonster2; 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM.

Comment

basically, i want to get the tone of Metallica (just like everybody else). I am so pleased with the rectifier vintage1 model of my GT-8 that I want to get the real thing and see how it compares. LOL

I think I need a Dual rectifier solo head with the vintage and modern voicings and three channels.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                the Tremoverb is a 2 channel duel recto with reverb.
                It's also got tremolo. But I don't think it's fighting any kind of duel, though. :ROTF:

A Rectoverb is the one with just reverb.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You can a get a great metallica like sound with dual rectifier(or even triple), but i dear to say that you also need right cab for this. For instance 4x12 carvin legacy (16 ohm) with celestion vintage 3 speakers will not do it for you. I think you should get 2x12 (8 ohm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) mesa cab with clestion vintage 30's.

I am telling this cause i use triple rec and mark III and when i want that fat metallica like śound then my 4x12 16 ohm legacy cant handle it, so i use 1x12 8 ohm cab with celstion 30s and the sound is so fat and powerful you cant even imagine.

If somone asked me id say its all about the speakers and cabinet

Comment

EB,

Single Rectos are mostly "ignored" by most, and a good bargain... I love mine.

Here's a guy doing a soundgarden tune on YouTube, that will give you a little example of the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34IX87NDXrQ

Thats the single 12 combo, like mine.
                    You'll also see some more links there, duals, triples, etc.

The single has:
                    2 clean channel modes (clean & pushed)
                    3 distortion modes (vintage, high-gain, modern)

Truely flexible, and with reverb (OK, not the best reverb, but hey) you can also pull off rather convincing blues tones all day long. It's no one trick pony... I'm happy with it, and I've owned 3 Mark-Series boogies in the past (including a Mark IIC+, the legend that IS Metallica tone).

You can currently score a single Recto for 600-800 bucks... that's almost free. hehe
                    Yeah, it's "only" 50 Watts... LOL :ROTF:

I dare ya to push it far enough that you complain about that.

I intend to buy a 2X12 Mesa cab as soon as I get over my latest case of guitar GAS. (JC is right about that cabinet stuff!)

Hey, if you have a local Mesa dealer, test drive them all, then watch E-bay and make your move!

Last edited by nhspike; 11-24-2007, 03:37 PM.
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      EB,

I dare ya to push it far enough that you complain about that.
                      yes, I know how LOUD a 50 watt all-tube can be. I used to own a 40 watt peavey XXX combo and it was a LOUD Mofo.

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      Hey, if you have a local Mesa dealer, test drive them all, then watch E-bay and make your move!

yes, there is a local mesa dealer. I have to remember to pay a visit to the mesa section the next time I'm there.
                      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        basically, i want to get the tone of Metallica (just like everybody else). I am so pleased with the rectifier vintage1 model of my GT-8 that I want to get the real thing and see how it compares. LOL

I think I need a Dual rectifier solo head with the vintage and modern voicings and three channels.
                        Metallica doesn't play Rectifiers... You can get a pretty good Metallica tone from a Mark IV, or you can get a Diezel (What Hetfield plays)

Comment

yes, I know how LOUD a 50 watt all-tube can be. I used to own a 40 watt peavey XXX combo and it was a LOUD Mofo.

yes, there is a local mesa dealer. I have to remember to pay a visit to the mesa section the next time I'm there.
                          Your Peavey wasn't even close. I'm in the process of selling my JSX and it wouldn't even come close to the sound pressure levels that my 2 channel dual rec would put out. I've never played a louder amp than the rectifiers, and the single rec's aren't noticeably different than the others.

The Tremoverb is generally regarded as the best sounding of the standard rectifiers. The new rectoverb is pretty nice as well. The thing that got me away from the rectifier series amps is that they just don't sound articulate enough without boosting the front end, although an EQ in the loop works pretty well to give you some focus. That being said, you have to mod the effects loop to make it serial before stuff like delay will sound good in the loop.

I really love the way a properly dialed in rectifier sounds, but they're pretty limited in what you can really do with them. A mark series amp will do a bunch more, or you can buy the new Randall MTS head and have Pete mod the rectifier module for that and it sounds better than a real rectifier.

Edited to add... I've sold my JSX... I'm not spamming it here so please don't delete my post.

Comment

Tremoverb= Rectifier voicing on high gain and vintage with more upper mid's. This amp was designed with the classic rock/blues player that every now and then likes to hit the high gain territory. Has built in reverb and a trem circuit, some of the best cleans out of the rec series. Metallica uses a combo in there dressing rooms for warm ups. Other notible bands are everclear and incubus. Lindsey buckingham uses this amp in the blues mode.

Rectoverb= like the single channel rec but with reverb, 2 different versions.

Single/Dual/Triple Rec 2 channel version= Best sounding to most, 2 channels with channel cloning, a little difficult to actually switch. Cleans are ok but leave much to be desired.

Single/Dual/Triple Rec 3 channel version= Little more buzzy then the older 2 channels, more verstile, can switch from vintage to modern on the fly with just a slight volume adjustment. Overall a great amps, if you dont play it side by side with an older rec or a roadking/roadster you would never know the difference.

Roadking= 4 channels so many options you would go crazy. This amp is also voiced with the rec tone, however has a little more upper mid's but not as much as the tremoverb, good in between amp.

Roadster= water downed roadking, however this amp is more voiced like the old 2 channel rec's, except it has four channels and easy to switch between modes. The britt mode is great.

So, I'm browsing through craigslist ads for dual rectifiers and there seems to a trem-o-verb, a roadster, a solo... and all i knew was that there's a triple rectifier and there is dual rectifier. So, what are all these variations in the dual rectifier? I am interested in knowing the speciality of a certain version, the no. of channels, wattage info and if the gain on it is good for post 80's metal. Thanks!

Comment

Cool!! thanks so much for the info siggy. Pretty much what I was looking for.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X