Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual rectifiers...more than one variety??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madryan View Post
    Metallica doesn't play Rectifiers... You can get a pretty good Metallica tone from a Mark IV, or you can get a Diezel (What Hetfield plays)
    Metallica has been playing rectos live since around '94, they play them on the Classic Albums DVD, or http://youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXAV56e7c&feature=related
    James plays a Triple Recto

Comment

If you want MoP-type tone, your best bet is a Mark III or IV. Well, a IIC+ would be closer, but they're like $3k . Earlier than that is a boosted Marshall.

Rectos are good for more recent 'Tallica type tones, though.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
        Metallica has been playing rectos live since around '94, they play them on the Classic Albums DVD, or http://youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXAV56e7c&feature=related
        James plays a Triple Recto
        I know that's what they've got on stage, but I guarantee that's not what they're actually playing through. I've seen them in concert several times, and while alot of their newer stuff is definitely recto sounding, when they play their older stuff they sure aren't playing through Rectifiers of any stripe. The Diezel Herbert that James actually plays sounds alot like a bigger meaner Rectifier.

Edited to add: I watched that video and I don't think that Rectifier was even switched on. I had a 2 channel for a long time and that jewel light on the front is bright! Also, that video was obviously pre-staged crap, ala. VH-1 type production because James is playing with in ear monitors (smart that) and has four wedges in front of him that I doubt were even plugged in. I know from experience that you absolutely have to keep your stage volume as low as possible or you start having real issues interacting with your band. I seriously doubt that they're going to run earbud monitors which usually have an ambient mic on the receiver so you don't feel like you're all alone out there, and then blast the same mix through 4 wedges which is waaaaay overkill anyway.

It's all for show.
        Last edited by madryan; 11-26-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Maybe im just nuts, but i really loved the brutal tone of an F-50 Mesa
          1/12 combo amp. (about 6 years old) It really reminded me of James
          tone! It was used and in mint condition for $850

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
            Maybe im just nuts, but i really loved the brutal tone of an F-50 Mesa
            1/12 combo amp. (about 6 years old) It really reminded me of James
            tone! It was used and in mint condition for $850
            The F Series was cool... kind of a cross between the Mark and Subway Series. I had an F-30 1x12 combo which was very nice, but it had EL84 tubes instead of the 6L6 that the F-50 and F-100 had.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Two guitarists in a local band that does all originals use the F-30, and I must say, they absolutely KILL in the tone dept.
              Nice amps, and I intend to get one soon.
              Funny thing, they were actually one of the last bands to play in NY at a little place called CBGB's before they closed (a year ago?).
              The lead singer is a lawyer, and you wouldn't believe the collection of music shit and motorcycles he has.
              He also writes some amazing lyrics... a true rocker.
              Cool dude.
              What's cool is, they play "for fun" and man... I wish I could have fun like that.
              They are in the process of working on their first CD... more info to follow once they become rich and famous... hehehe
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

you guys are talking about the little F series Mesa's right? I did play through one of them at a local store at low volumes and it sounded ok to me. But the way you guys are putting it, maybe i should go back and crank that bad mother up!
                Sam

Comment

EB,
                  I seriously would.
                  Why not, right?
                  For the money, they rock very nicely.
                  And at a used price, they are money in the bank.
                  I'm always into the bargain.
                  Call me Johnny Cheapskates.
                  All my friends do!
                  (OK, so I won't eat old meat, but, other than that... LOL)

When you test-drive, pay attention to that contour control.
                  Basically, in the old Mark series, when you had an EQ, you would normally put it into a "V" shape, for kind of a mid-cut/scooped tone.
                  This contour control (also on the new Express 5:25, which I traded for my Recto) simulates that mid-cut effect, only with a single knob.
                  Small tweaks, big diff.
                  Try it... You'll like it!
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

The F Series was great, loud, separate reverb for each channel. Too bad they were discontinued. I'd like to get the head version eventually, but I'll have to check out the Express series that's now taken its place.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X