Voodoo Amps 5150 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Amps 5150 mods

I know Trace does awesome work and I've heard nothing but positive things, but has anyone hear actually owned a Voodoo modded 5150? Is the difference big enough to warrant getting the work done? I like how my 5150 sounds now, but I wanted a JSX to add to the arsenal and now I'm thinking maybe getting Voodoo Amps to mod my 5150 will give me something cool to play with without dropping all the extra cash for another new head, even though realistically I could sell the 5150 and buy a used JSX at no loss...

Bottom line, anyone had it done? And if so, opinions?

EDIT: Also, is it worth the price difference for the deluxe mod with the new transformer? How much does that actually effect the tone?

I just sent them a message about getting my 5150 modded. It went down last night at rehearsal. It's 17 years old and I just had it retubed for the 3rd time (I play out a lot and have used it constantly since I got it). I have two Voodoo 412 DL cabs coming I bought off ebay. I want to get my 5150 modded with the Deluxe mod and get it recovered to match the cabs that are coming. I'll let you know what I find out if you want.

Comment

FWIW, I picked up a used MP-1 with the deluxe Voodoo mod and thought it sounded worse (or at least no better) than my stock MP-1. To be fair, it could have needed new tubes, but I ended up just selling it.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I think this is one of those cases where being able to actually play one in person before you buy makes sense.

Comment

I believe VA doesn't mod MP1's anymore since their age at this day gives reliability issues, perhaps not OEM, but once juice and parts are tuned up, chance of failure increases
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Personally, I don't get "mods". On just about anything, but especially amps.

But...to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
            I believe VA doesn't mod MP1's anymore since their age at this day gives reliability issues, perhaps not OEM, but once juice and parts are tuned up, chance of failure increases
            That is correct Nightbat. We purchased all the proprietary parts/components we could find several years ago. For the last 9 months we were Modding these every one of them required repair. Repairs included but were not limited to the replacement of a proprietary part(s) that were failing or were directly shorted. These parts are tied to gain structure as well as other areas. When a part/component fails it does make the audio quality sound very poor in other cases there is little to no gain/overdrive. Unfortunately we depleted our stock. After several attempts we were unable to locate the necessary parts to repair their and as such had to discontinue the ADA MP-1 Modifications. If we are able to locate a surplus we will resume repairing/Modding these units.

Many thanks & have a great day;
            Trace Davis

Comment

As this thread was originally asking about 5150 Mods I thought I would share a video demonstrating some metal tones.

Thanks so much and I hope everyone has a great Tuesday morning and an even better week!

PS: If anyone has a left handed Jackson or Charvel with a Floyd Rose, please let me know. I'm a lefty and looking for one

Thanks again!!
              Trace

Comment

Working...
              X