New Amp report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp report

After returning my Line 6 Spider Valve and selling several other amps I was actually left without a traditional guitar amp of any kind (my Splawn Quickrod is almost done though). In the spirit of the Spider Valve I still wanted a small light weight "grab and go" rig. So I strolled into Fat Sound Guitars here in town and strolled out with a Bogner Duende head.

It absolutely smokes! Features:
    • 6V6 power tubes - 15 watts (a very loud 15 watts) - I like the 6V6 voicing so much better than the typical EL84 amp you'd normally find in this category - I find it to be a much fuller tone with the 6V6 powert tubes
    • 2 channels - you can run either or BOTH channels at once - the both channels at once option is interesting because you can use it as a boost or cut or EQ tweak depending on how you balance the levels
    • Fantastic clean (but not too damn clean) channel - plenty of sustain and ring with a good amount of low end
    • The gain channel is ripping. You can get from smoky blues to classic rock to 80's metal
    • It's got a surprisingly nice reverb with separate levels for each level
    • Really great tremolo - very smooth
    • Effects loop - it takes pedals no problem

I gave it a pretty thorough test drive before I bought it with a Custom Shop Strat and a Historic Les Paul at Fat Sound so I had a pretty good idea what it could do. But once I got it home and plugged in my guitars and cab I got a chance to really dime it and experiment. This amp really sings. It is extremely touch responsive and cleans up great when you roll your guitar volume down.

I experimented with different pedals in the loop and was pleasantly surprised. So I went ahead and ran a Yamaha Magic Stomp in the loop and it worked very well. BTW, the Magic Stomp is a highly underappreciated pedal - it's basically the effects from the classic SPX series - great modulation and time based effects in particular.

The head is really light. With a small pedal board (wah, vibe, overdrive, Magic Stomp) and a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet I think I have my "grab and go" rig to replace the Spider Valve combo.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

sweet dude....i really need to make a day trip and visit fat sound one day

Comment

You are an ANIMAL!
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Hey, Tim! I read this over at TGP, too. Sounds like a great amp.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Well one things for sure..you know great tone! Sound like a near perfect
          amp...congrats! You spent some change that day!

Comment

Tim, did you happen to A/B it against a Shiva? I've been looking to down size a bit from my Cornford and the Shiva is at the top of my list. This Duende sounds like a killer amp and the low wattage aspect really intrigues me. Congrats on the new amp!
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I did not A/B it with a Shiva. I've played them before - they're really nice amps - I do like the 6L6 version much better than the EL84 version. The Shiva is really more power than I was looking for. I've got a Splawn coming for the big volume.

- Newc

Comment

Cool, thanks for that, Tim.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Sweet Butterball in a bushell..you got a Bogner.

Splawn on its way..nice!!!

Congrats Tim..

You no likey the Spidey Vulva..?

Wassup.. Jimmy B. Goode..I am intrigued that you are intrigued. You picked up a Spidey Vulvanator..yes?!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Damn you, Tim! You've given me more GAS for another amp. I'm still digging my Univalve. How would you say it compares to your old Univalve or Tiny Terror?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Damn you, Tim! You've given me more GAS for another amp. I'm still digging my Univalve. How would you say it compares to your old Univalve or Tiny Terror?
                      The Univalve and Tiny Terror aren't in the same league at all. I never really dug the Univalve - it was neat at first but that wore off quickly. The Tiny Terror is a better rock amp than the Univalve although it's a bit less versatile. The Tiny Terror looks cool and sure is small and portable.

But when it comes to tone and versatility the Bogner wins hands down. There is no comparison IMO. The Bogner has more features as well: effects loop (that works with pedals!), channel switching, nice reverb, and an excellent tremolo.

Another cool amp to look at if you are searching for a 15-20 watt amp is the Suhr Badger. It's basically a feature packed 18-watt Marshall - BTW, the 18-watt Marshall reissues are rippin' good but you'd need a pedal in front of it for heavy stuff.

Joe, it's Christmas time - give yourself a treat

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Sweet Butterball in a bushell..you got a Bogner.

Splawn on its way..nice!!!

Congrats Tim..

You no likey the Spidey Vulva..?

Wassup.. Jimmy B. Goode..I am intrigued that you are intrigued. You picked up a Spidey Vulvanator..yes?!
                        Yeah Bill, I picked one up on the weekend and I am digging it. It's a neat amp - lots of cool tones.
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                          Yeah Bill, I picked one up on the weekend and I am digging it. It's a neat amp - lots of cool tones.
                          I'm sure I would like it. Kind of a no brainer me thinks. I like Bogner and Line 6..so

I don't have any excuse to buy an amp. Vinny's focus is on guitar much more than drums lately..he's doing very good. Maybe next year he'll have his own half stack. That'll give me a reason to buy a new toy...a Spider Valve head.

I got his stuff already, including a keyboard...he's done for this year.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Whoa I just checked it out only to find that the Duende costs 4x as much as the Tiny Terror.

For that price it had better be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              Whoa I just checked it out only to find that the Duende costs 4x as much as the Tiny Terror.

For that price it had better be amazing.
                              It is

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X