B-52 Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 Cabs

I've been in search for an inexpensive yet decent sounding cabinet to use for practice. I don't feel like hauling my Bogner and Mesa stuff all the time and I would worry if I left it at our practice space. After searching the new and used market, I have come to the conclusion that B-52 is the way to go. It seems like you get a decent product for a good price. So, here's my question for those who are familiar with B-52 gear........

Do I get the 2x12 ST with vintage 30's or the 4x12 AT with B-52 speakers? Both are exactly the same price. I would like to have the beef of a 4x12 but it does no good if the B-52 speakers are crap. Any advice would be appreciated.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

I was really happy with my 412AT cab. It was GREAT quality for the price. The speakers were not as "in your face" as a v30, but handled everything I could throw at it without getting farty. Not really strong in the mids, but that's okay.
    Last edited by chrisolson; 11-26-2007, 09:19 AM.

Comment

What head were you using?
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I use the 412AT with my vetta, and my rhythm guitarist uses one with his 5150 II. He actually sold his VHT cab/head for that specific set-up. I love my sound, he seems to dig his (although he's been thru more rigs than I could dream of affording).

As stated above, for the money you absolutely cannot lose with that cab... imho

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
          What head were you using?
          Various. Let's see...

POD XT - 100w/channel stereo poweramp
          Crate GT3500H head (350 watts)
          Line 6 Flextone HD
          Floor POD Plus - 100w/channel stereo poweramp

I've heard it in stores with other heads plugged into it, and it's always sounded pretty good.

I replaced it with a Mesa Recto cab with v30's. Why? Hey - it's a Mesa!! I'm a whore, what can I say?

To be honest, I think I liked the B-52 better. It had a "friendlier" EQ curve to it, and sounded clearer. It was a bit less of a "focused" sound, and you could hear it better than the Mesa. You have to be directly in front of the Mesa to hear what you are "really sounding like". I think if the B-52 cab said "Mesa" on it, I'd be using it still. I'm not sure who makes the drivers, but they were 120 watt speakers, and the cab was as good as any I've used - no buzzes or rattles, and the handles were the best I've seen.

I've got a Spider Valve HD coming (hopefully this week), and I'll see how it sounds with the Mesa cab. If it blows (too muich mid-honk), I may sell it and pick up a Marshall with the G12T75's for less of a mid-focus. We'll see. The Mesa cab did sound great with my Rectoverb head though.
          Last edited by chrisolson; 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X