Peavey Triple Xxx Is The Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triple Xxx Is The Winner

hi folks, i finally made my decision between the peavey triple xxx and the crate blue voodoo. while i'm sure the crate bv is a good amp, i choose the peavey xxx head. it was delivered to my door last week and i got it used for $620 on ebay. this is my first ebay purchase and to tell you the truth ebay scares the shit out of me, but the ebay seller had a positive feedback rating so i took a chance, and rolled the dice. i must say that i am pleased with my decision. the xxx head arrived at my door very well packaged and when i opened the box i found that the xxx was in like new condition. i plugged it into my cheap 212 cab, and i must say this amp KICKS ASS. great tone,built like a tank, and no need for a distortion pedal as this amp has tons of gain. since this amp is only the 2nd tube amp i've ever owned the first being a lee jackson ampeg back in the 90's i must say i don't know much about tube amps. so i will have plenty of tube amp questions in the future. thanks, guys & gals

Yes, ebay is great for used gear. I have bought 12 guitars in my 4 1/2 years of playing the guitar and 9 have been bought on eBay.

I owned a 40Watt Peavey XXX combo (purchased on ebay too) and at first it was great sounding. but very soon, you will get tired of the harsh ear-piercing distortion. At that time, look no further than a Digitech bad monkey Overdrive pedal. That pedal was a life-saver. It made the overall sound less harsh and more creamy. But its still a very bright amp and will cut through the mix with ease.

$620 for the head is a great deal.
    Sam

Comment

emperor, i like harsh ear piercing distortion and thats what the knobs are for on the front of the amp,you know to change the tone. and i always have the option to cut down on the harshnes of the distortion its called a gain knob. emperor, you also got to understand that you owned a 40watt xxx (practice amp) it is going to sound harsher than a 120 watt beast, and like i said no need for a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal for that matter.
      Last edited by jaydog; 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Congratz.. the Triple X is a great amp. Solid, reliable and great for high gain metal.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydog View Post
          emperor, i like harsh ear piercing distortion and thats what the knobs are for on the front of the amp,you know to change the tone. and i always have the option to cut down on the harshnes of the distortion its called a gain knob. emperor, you also got to understand that you owned a 40watt xxx (practice amp) it is going to sound harsher than a 120 watt beast, and like i said no need for a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal for that matter.
          Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted! Rock on!!
          Sam

Comment

thanks guys, the fun part will be matching it up with a 412 cabinet and not paying a fortune for one.

Comment

Congrats on the amp, sounds like you have a winner for yourself

Originally posted by jaydog View Post
              great tone,built like a tank,

So you opened the amp up ? Otherwise it's a bit difficult to talk about the build quality.

Flo
              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
                Congrats on the amp, sounds like you have a winner for yourself

So you opened the amp up ? Otherwise it's a bit difficult to talk about the build quality.

Flo
                oh jeez, a technical smart ass i think everybody knows what i mean. (built solid) i guess if you want to put my wording under a microscope the term tank would be incorrect due to the fact the amp doesn't have a barrel, armor, and tracks. oh, i'm sorry i wasn't politically correct enough for you.
                Last edited by jaydog; 11-28-2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Now what i meant was if you have opened the amp up and looked at the guts ? I think it's not easy to tell the build quality without looking at the board, seeing the solder joints, cabling and so on.
                  Or are you talking about another build quality ?
                  Oh and just to clarify i don't want to badmouth the amp, hope i didn't make that impression.

Flo

Comment

Ok, just forget it, sorry that i even asked. Seems like you don't understand that build quality also means how the internals are build.

Like i said it wasn't with bad intention but seeing your reply i guess i know what kind of guy you are. Have a nice life.

Flo

Comment

Actually, I take build quality as meaning how well it's (externally) put together. Like could I drop it a few feet and not worry about it breaking into pieces.

I agree with EB about the buzziness though. It's not something you can dial out; it's just the tone of the amp.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Actually, I take build quality as meaning how well it's (externally) put together. Like could I drop it a few feet and not worry about it breaking into pieces.

I agree with EB about the buzziness though. It's not something you can dial out; it's just the tone of the amp.
                        yeah, i was just making a general statement about the external structure of the amp and sherlock holmes had to put my statement (built like a tank) under a magnifying glass.

Comment

So tell me what do you call the build quality of the internal things ? Since it's not the term build quality i'd like to know what you americans call it. Remember i am german so english isn't my mother language. So you possibly can enlighten me ?
                          Also i am wondering what's the benefit of having a nicely builded cabinet if the internals are made very poorly and the amp case will survive a drop from a few feet but the internals will shatter ?

Flo

Comment

Great amp and great deal man. I almost pulled the trigger on one after playing it but decided to go with a Splawn Nitro. The XXX I played was kinda buzzy sounding but it was a beast. Good choice!

Comment

The triple X is a little harsh for my ears also but at least you got a good deal on it and like it.

(p.s. Infernal Death, don't listen to jaydog he dosn't seem to grasp the fact that other people can hold other opinions )
                              Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Working...
                              X