another cool amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another cool amp...

I went to the local open jam tonight and they had a Mesa Boogie DC-5 combo. I've never tried one before - what a really cool amp! I had a Warmoth Strat with me and this amp really sang. We played blues/classic rock stuff (of course) and the DC-5 really delivered the goods. The OD channel has great sustain and very smooth overdrive/distortion. The clean channel really worked well with the Strat - very crisp without piercing your fucking ears like a Twin Reverb would.

I'm not sure if this amp would do modern metal but I'm pretty sure if I had a humbucker equipped guitar playiong 80's metal would have been no problem.

I don't know anything else about these amps but it sure seemed like a sweet amp to me!
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
    I went to the local open jam tonight and they had a Mesa Boogie DC-5 combo. I've never tried one before - what a really cool amp! I had a Warmoth Strat with me and this amp really sang. We played blues/classic rock stuff (of course) and the DC-5 really delivered the goods. The OD channel has great sustain and very smooth overdrive/distortion. The clean channel really worked well with the Strat - very crisp without piercing your fucking ears like a Twin Reverb would.

I'm not sure if this amp would do modern metal but I'm pretty sure if I had a humbucker equipped guitar playiong 80's metal would have been no problem.

I don't know anything else about these amps but it sure seemed like a sweet amp to me!
    I've always loved the Dual Caliber amps... I'm working at buying one right now in fact. They're like a darker, more aggressive mark IV without so many knobs/options. Killer amps

Comment

Tim, I've been sayinmg for years that the Mesa/Boogie DC-5 is the bets bang for the buck in amps oiut there. 50 watts 6L6 power, independent controls for each channel, foot switchable EQ blah blah. Also dunno if you noticed but the clean channes gain push/pull pot...pull it out, crank up the gain and throw an sd-1 or ts9 infront ahd you get close to JCM800 tones from that channel.

I have the widebody combo version but they also come in heads.

Here's mine...I think I paid $550 shipped for it off of eBay several years ago.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
      X