New (to me) cab idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) cab idea

EarCandy makes a mini version of their 2x12 "BuzzBomb" it's a 2x8 called "The Bailey"

Anyone have a clue how this would sound? I think it might be cool with a Tiny Terror or some other small amp.

You'd be way better off with a 1x12 than a 2x8. I did small gigs with a Tiny Terror and a Boogie Thiele cabinet - worked great.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I just thought it was odd since I've never heard of anyone putting guitar through an 8" speaker. Also putting it vertical with a tiny terror would look cool =P

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
        You'd be way better off with a 1x12 than a 2x8.
        That's what I think, too. Though, it is ported, so it'll give you some better bass response, but I still don't think the 8" speakers will be all that great. 10" speakers would work better than the 8", IMO.
        You should be the guinea pig to buy it and tell us how it is.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm seriously considering it. My reasoning is twofold:

1 - EarCandy stuff is supposed to kick ass

2 - My stereo speakers only have 5" drivers and 1" tweeters yet they are full range, sound great, and can be really loud with a good amp

Comment

Isn't it the consensus that the smaller the speaker diameter gets, the lesser the low-end available? Hence a 15" speaker would have lots more low-end than a 10". I was told the magnet also makes a difference and a bigger magnet contributes to more low-end.
            Sam

Comment

Yes, 15" speakers handle more low end. A lot of bass amps have 15" speakers to handle the lows, with a couple of 10s to handle the highs. And playing a guitar through a 15" speaker definitely brings out the low end as well.
              Not sure about magnet size or not, but some little practice amps seem to use 8" or 10" speakers with decent results. I guess if it works for you and sounds good, go for it.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                I just thought it was odd since I've never heard of anyone putting guitar through an 8" speaker. Also putting it vertical with a tiny terror would look cool =P
                the original fender champs used 8" speakers. They're good sounding amps, but the speaker is the weak point, IMO. run one into a 4x12 and THEN they sound awesome.
                Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                I'm seriously considering it. My reasoning is twofold:

1 - EarCandy stuff is supposed to kick ass

2 - My stereo speakers only have 5" drivers and 1" tweeters yet they are full range, sound great, and can be really loud with a good amp
                your stereo speakers are made to be full range, 8" guitar speakers are much more limited in their range, as others have said it will have less low end than a 12" guitar speaker, though I have heard that ear candy engineers their cabs to focus the bass, etc. and it IS a ported cab, which should help the bass as well.. it's kinda intriguing.

Comment

My point was that those little 5" guys can reproduce a bass guitar just fine, so there is no reason an 8" guitar speaker couldn't be made to have a fine amount of bass if it were designed properly.

Comment

8" speakers suck for guitar at loud volumes. They don't project enough sound. Neither do 10"s. 1 x 12 is tons better than 2 8"s or even 2 10"s.

Comment

Well I ended up winning a new Lopo 2x12 with Texas Heats for $191 shipped.

I guess I'll sell the speakers and buy a pair of Neodymium ones because I'm not fond of a cab weighing over 50 lbs

Comment

Working...
                      X