Almost a good day - L6 SpiderValve content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a good day - L6 SpiderValve content

So I came home to a message on our voicemail - MY AMP IS IN!! Finally after 3 months of waiting!! I went and picked it up at GC, just about hugged the sales guy, and went home to set it up.

Got everything all set up, powered up (man - this thing looks COOL!!), plugged in and hit a few chords on a few channels. The amp was dead quiet on the low gain channels, but even with the master on 1 on the high gain channels, it sounded like I had my stereo on a static channel AS LOUD AS IT COULD GO!! Turn it up to 3 (9:00) and you couldn't be in the room with the amp. Tried different cables all around - same thing. Checked the noise gate - it was on. Hooked up my other setup - no problems. SHIT. I think I got a bad amp. I called the guy at GC (and this guy is exceptional for GC employees), had him hear what was happening over the phone, and he said he'd get another one brought in right away and apologized PROFUSELY. I told him it wasn't his fault, blah, blah, blah...and he said he'd call me when the new one was in. Kudos to him!! I thought I'd try to just put up with this, but the noise is ridiculous!! You can't hear the effects as it is SO loud in the background. Bummer... I unhooked everything and put it back in the box. I should maybe stop in there and have them hook it up to see if the have the same problem...

I've played the combos, and they're dead quiet even on the high gain channel. I'm really bummed out. This is the first problem I've ever had with an L6 product. Why did it have to be THIS one???

Because you touch yourself at night.

Comment

They produce hundreds, if not thousands of amps in any given year, and they're all made on robotic assembly lines. This kind of stuff happens with all the manufacturers these days, unless you pay the $ for high end boutique handwired stuff you're bound to run into this at some point. I've had several amps with just these kinds of problems, mostly low to mid level marshalls and crates for me.

I would bet that these flaws likely follow maintenance cycles on the assembly line equipment, for example; a brand new batch of tin is added to the line for soldering, or heating elements are changed on the soldering equipment, maybe a new belt on a conveyor that causes the line to move slightly out of sync until it breaks in, or parts from a new supplier. Maybe Im over thinking it because Im tired, lol.

-Steve
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Try the line out if you still have the amp there - if it's ok, then it's the tube section and may just be a bad tube. Even happens to 100% tube amps.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
          Because you touch your wife at night.
          Fixed that for you. Go eat a bowl of dicks, noob.

Last edited by chrisolson; 11-30-2007, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
            Try the line out if you still have the amp there - if it's ok, then it's the tube section and may just be a bad tube. Even happens to 100% tube amps.

Pete
            Unfortunatley, I don't use the line out, so I don't have the cord for it. Maybe I can borrow one from MGR or GC just to check it. Good idea. Do they have one that I could just plug into 1/4" ins? I'm a little "duh" when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

Don't feel bad Chris, When I got my first 112 combo the effects would just come on at random. I finally got my replacement and it is perfect.

I think they're worth the wait. P.S. Pete's got a good point there! It could be a bad pre or Output tube.
              Last edited by Fretburner; 11-30-2007, 06:15 PM.

Comment

GROW UP ASSHOLE!

Comment

Chris:

Which Guitar Center? Roseville? Edina?

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                    Chris:

Which Guitar Center? Roseville? Edina?

- E.
                    Roseville.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydog View Post
                      GROW UP ASSHOLE!
                      Amen. Must have been a dickhead migration from the ESP board or HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fretburner View Post
                        Don't feel bad Chris, When I got my first 112 combo the effects would just come on at random. I finally got my replacement and it is perfect.

I think they're worth the wait. P.S. Pete's got a good point there! It could be a bad pre or Output tube.
                        With as loud as this sucker gets, I wonder if I'd be better off with the 2x12 combo, and just hook it into my Mesa cab? Hmmm...

Comment

I´m sorry to say that but the Spider Model is damn fuckin bullshit... Take your money back and buy another amp... like flextone III

i go

Comment

How old are you?
                            Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Originally posted by Kingo View Post
                              I´m sorry to say that but the Spider Model is damn fuckin bullshit... Take your money back and buy another amp... like flextone III

i go
                              Dude, this isn't a Spider. It's the new Line6/Bogner collaboration:

Hope this gets sorted out quickly, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X