tube amps - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube amps - question

guys, what tube amp has the best combination of cleans and higher gain stuff? the cleans are important.

like, to fit with a GT-8 for example?

I love the Marshall gain tones but usually their cleans suck. which Marshalls have a good clean tone?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

JCM900, and IMHO.. the DSL 100 has an excellent clean channel.

Comment

Try a Crate Palamino. They sound great both clean and dirty. And its all tube. Very marshall like in th egain and almsot fender like in the clean channel.
      Gil

Comment

Are you using the GT-8 in the 4 cable method?? Let me know how you are using it and I will give you a list of power options that will work great.

Comment

Mesa Triaxis, Randall RM100 (with the right modules)
          Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

try to find a rivera to check out if you can, I've always been told they're sort of 'marshall dirty + fender clean'

Comment

Opeth uses the GT-8 with Laney heads.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The GT-8 works great with a power amp.
                I works great with the following tube ampsin the 4 cable method

Soldano SLO100
                Mesa Rectifier series
                Mesa Mark Series
                Marshall JCM800 series
                Marshall JCM900 series
                Marshall DSL100 is a no go if you use the 4 cable method and amp control. For some reason... you get a slight hum when using amp control

Comment

In the last few months I've owned a Dual Rec, Engl Invader 150, Framus Cobra, 6505+ and an EVH lll. The EVH wins hands down exactly for the reason of having insane amounts of gain and crystal clear cleans.

Comment

A Mesa Stiletto Deuce

Comment

The JVM has awesome cleans, if you're going to get a Marshall I'd get an 800 or a JVM. They both have awesome tone, but the JVM can do metal without boosting/cranking and is way more versatile.

You might also want to look into a Mesa Mark III/IV, a VHT, ENGLs...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        Are you using the GT-8 in the 4 cable method?? Let me know how you are using it and I will give you a list of power options that will work great.
                        I'm not using it yet, just seeking info at the moment, in case I decide to go that route.

I have no clue what the 4 cable method is either....

Comment

wow, from reading about the Marshall JVM, that sounds like the ticket. sounds like it does it all!

thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Comment

A JSX will do nice cleans and high gain both. I thought mine was too bright for my tastes, at least the Ultra and Crunch channels were, but I loved the clean.

Comment

I like the idea of a GT-8 into the power amp section of Laney's. I used to use a POD Pro into the power amp of a Peavey XXX and it was massive

Comment

Working...
                              X