Rack Power Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Power Amps

If heat rises, why is it recommended to put power amps on the bottom of racks? Wouldn't it make more sense to put it at the top so it's just heating up the case instead of whatever is mounted above it?

I guess it's because the heated air rises fastlier, when it's on the bottom. Probably about the potential energy of the heated air.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Well i am not a rack user so it's just speculation but my guess is that those units are always at the bottom because of weight. After all a power amp are the most heavy unit. I don't think you want the heaviest unit on top.
      Looking only at the heat it really doesn't make sense to have it at the bottom. Normally you should leave 1-2 rack spaces above empty for ventilation.

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Open the back of the case that should be enough to cool it.Get some computer fans and mount them in the back so they pull the hot air out.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's the weight. Power amps are fucking heavy. Put them on top and watch your rack tumble to the floor.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Eh my rack will only be 3 or 4 spaces - not much difference between top and bottom so I figure I might be better off with the power amp on top for heat

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
              Eh my rack will only be 3 or 4 spaces - not much difference between top and bottom so I figure I might be better off with the power amp on top for heat
              I think you're over thinking this heat thing. All of these power amps have venting and fans. I've never had the other gear in any of my racks get overheated from the power amp.

- Newc

Comment

I also think you are underestimating just how much heavier the power amp is than all the rest of the gear in the rack.

- Newc

Comment

Get a Crate PowerBlock... they're very light.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, fluid mechanics is too much to explain that
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I know it doesn't really matter in my application, I was just curious since most of what I read cites heat as the reason for putting it on bottom instead of weight. I agree that it makes sense when thinking about weight.

Comment

It's the weight. I also use racks that the gear is shock mounted (a rack within a case). This leaves air flow at 360 degrees all around.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It the weight, because if you put them in the top, they tilting back. Best thing is to leave a free spot above the poweramp, that normally works really good against the heat.
                          "Don't mess with the Pudel of Death!"

Comment

It's generally the weight like everyone has mentioned but aside from this if you put it on top in a tight rack the heat wont have any area to rise up and will basically be setting in its own pool of heat before it can vent even though most amps have a fan. Even my little Mesa 20/20 has a fan in it.

Comment

My 2150 has a fan in it louder than some practice amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X