Got a Roland Cube 30 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Roland Cube 30 today

I came across a Cube 30 for $168.00, shipping included, so I jumped on it. I have heard a lot about this amp, so when it arrived today I was ready to check it out. I was not worried about whether or not I would like it as I know Roland stuff is pretty good gear. So I unpack it and the guy was honest about it. Like new, no scuffs (even on the bottom) and perfect in every way.

I showed it to the wife, and the first thing she says is 'Can I try it out?'. I told her that was a dumb question...lol! So she gets out her acoustic electric violin, fires up the pc, loads Cubase SX and I plug her in. I used the JC Clean channel with just a touch of reverb, chorus set about 1/3rd, bass and mid at max and treble at about 1/2. She played for two hours, and when she was done she told me to leave it upstairs so she could use it whenever she wanted. She hates bugging me when she screws up the settings I have set up for her on my rack gear, and she hates programming my pedal board for her patches. I have to admit that her violin sounded excellent through it, and she had it cranked way up.

Did I mention that I got this to jam in the garage (my smoking room)? :ROTF: Oh well, I guess I can look for another one if I get tired of luggin it back and forth.

I did try it out afterward, and it is an impressive little unit to mess with. Just what I was looking for. Same with the wife...lol!

Oh well, at least she lets me buy gear without asking her.

Don't forget that you can use a Boss FS-5U footswitch with
    the tip of the 1/4" jack just sticking in the amp to control your
    effects on/off or the jack inserted a little more to
    switch from clean to dirty.

Comment

WTB DrDougs wife....

-Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
        WTB DrDougs wife....

-Nate
        can i try before i buy?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          can i try before i buy?
          Probably not the best place for this story, but all of our friends and family know it, so why the heck not...lol!

I told her that the personal aspect of a relationship was very important when we started dating. The 'Try before you buy' plan. She was totally against that idea, and I mean totally. When I found out that she was, umm, lets say 'unspoiled', a few dates later I decided that I was not the kind of guy for her. Or as I explained it to her then "I am the guy your Mom warned you about". I was honest about it, and I told her that I did not want to put her in that position, so it would be best if we stopped dating. I had never said that to a lady before, but she was just a sweet lady who I did not want to make a decision that could possibly screw up her life. So we broke it off. Sadly, may I add.

A week later, she showed up at my job and handed me a note that essentially said 'Please reconsider this'. We talked more later that day after work, and I told her that I would not change my position on TBYB and I was not going to be the one to put her in that position. That if we started dating again, I would feel like I was pressuring her into something that she did not want. I felt like crap for having even walked into her life, and I stood my ground. Well, so did she. She kept meeting me after work and we would go somewhere to eat and talk, and after about a month of this back and forth, she changed her mind, I changed my mind, and 'things' happened.

We were married almost two years later. She got what she wanted, I got what I wanted plus a hell of a lot more than I was bargaining for. Now here we are going on our 22nd year of marriage, we have two great kids and we have never fought or said a foul word, or even raised our voices to each other. She is my best friend, and I am hers. I consider myself one lucky guy to have met her, and I am glad that I never married anyone else. She is a very beautiful lady (and I mean VERY!) in every way, and we are a perfect match.

She indulges my hobbies (motorcycle, Mustang, guitar gear and tearing things apart and putting them back together) without complaint. Her Mom really did not like me when we first started dating, but I knew that changed when one day she told me to stop calling her Betty and to call her Mom. Her husband (my wife's Dad) had been a wrench cranker like me, and had even built a Smith experimental mini-plane in their basement (sans wings), and he did crazy stuff to test it like tying it to a tree to test the engine out. He passed away about five years before I met my wife, but it was uncanny how alike her father and I were.

Either way, it has been a match made in heaven. Sorry to bore you to death with the story, but that quote above made me laugh when I saw it. Funny how much guys think alike. I promise you, you would not need to try before buying, and no, she IS NOT FOR SALE!!!

Comment

had a cube 60 that freakin rocked... best solid state modeler period.
            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
            Amp... Pioneer
            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
              I promise you, you would not need to try before buying, and no, she IS NOT FOR SALE!!!
              WTT? :ROTF:

Comment

No trades either! Or loans, renting, leasing, swapping or whatever! Good try though... :ROTF:

I started out looking at the Cube 15, but ended up with the Cube 30 and I am glad I decided on this one. The Cube 60 looked like a good candidate, but for a garage jam box it would be overkill. I have tried all of the amps models, and I like them all. The JC Clean channel kicks too, sweet and clean. Solid, well built amp and well worth the money.

Comment

Great story, enjoy the amp, and the wife!
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

i owned one almost 3 year ago when I was still a noob with the guitar. I did not even know what the r-fier model was modeled after. But I remember that it was my favorite. I still remember...it was the first big amp that I owned and before that I had a sad little mg10cd. I got this in the mail, plugged in the guitar and turned it on. the sound almost deafened me. the seller had cranked the vol all the way up. LOL. Since then, before I turn on any amp, I always check the vol knob(s).
                    Sam

Comment

The Cubes with COSM are all way cool. Thts why I opted for the Microcube instead of the 15 as a practice amp. Hell I even record stuff with it and it sounds pretty damn decent for a 2 watt thing.

Comment

Doug, that was a great story! (sniff)

I got a Cube 30 also & love it!

Emperor, I got a chuckle out of your story too!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks Ron and you guys. It is a pretty funny story, and my wife and I laugh about it to this day. You would not believe how my breaking it off with her was SOOOO against my male nature and raging hormones. I tell her to this day that I came out on the better end of the deal. I got the equivalent of a brand new Ferrari, and she got stuck with an old '59 Chevy.
                          :ROTF:

I almost got the MicroCube, but I am from the old school of "There is no replacement for displacement" and opted for the extra horsepower. I agree that the R-fier mode rips, but I have to say that they all sound good in their own way. I am not disappointed with the purchase at all.

Neither is my wife.

Comment

That was a great price too! I paid $255.00 for mine...and its worth
                            every cent! Just about does everything. IMO all the COSM Roland
                            amps are a bargain.

Comment

Got to jam through one of these recently. Very impressive!

Comment

Working...
                              X