No announcement yet.

New Amp: Mesa Lonestar (Pix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it... the reason I asked is because Jaydog bought one and returned it for a Triple X which I thought was a completely different type of gain.
    IMHO... buying a Lonestar and returning it because it broke and buying a Triple X to replace it means that one of the amps was the wrong choice.
    You can't go wrong with Mesa.. thats for darn sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Got it... the reason I asked is because Jaydog bought one and returned it for a Triple X which I thought was a completely different type of gain.
      IMHO... buying a Lonestar and returning it because it broke and buying a Triple X to replace it means that one of the amps was the wrong choice.
      You can't go wrong with Mesa.. thats for darn sure.
      He claims it caught on fire, which makes me skeptical. I've owned several Mesa amps and they've all been rock solid. They've all sounded good once dialed in. I'm not into fizzy buzzy gain, so all the high gain stuff on the market these days isn't doing it for me.

I've pretty much decided I'm not going to buy any more mass produced stuff. Part of this comes from my JSX. I've played JSX's that were killer, and maybe it's the whole honeymoon phase that got me, because after a while all I could hear when I played it was fizz. I tried every sort of preamp and power tube I could think of, including using NOS Mullard 12AT7's in V1 and the PI and it still was too fizzy. Either I had a particularly fizzy one, or my ears adjusted to the amp.

The Mesa is totally smooth, even with the treble and presence up quite a bit. That alone makes it worth buying. Plus, I was sitting on the floor today in front of it playing and it was incredible how the notes would bloom and then gradually turn into harmonic feedback. I will say that it sounds much better through the Lonestar cab than it does through my V-30 loaded Avatar OS 212.

Comment

really beautiful looking amp! Love the color. Congrats.
        Sam

Comment

sexay!

Comment

I used to have the combo version in the blue tolex and loved it! It was just way to loud for what I needed it for. If you ever want to use it as a metal amp all you have to do is put a Boss MT2 in front of it and it enters Recto territory. VERY nice score!

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
              I used to have the combo version in the blue tolex and loved it! It was just way to loud for what I needed it for. If you ever want to use it as a metal amp all you have to do is put a Boss MT2 in front of it and it enters Recto territory. VERY nice score!
              I needed something fairly loud as I pretty much don't play anymore unless it's with the band or the church worship team. I usually bring the stuff home from practice/gigs and just stack it all in a corner where it sits for a day or two till it's time to go again. It actually sounds really nice at low volumes though.

As far as playing Metal... I should be receiving my new VHT any day... I've been a bad boy lately...

Comment

Nice Mesa!!

Comment

Beautiful amp, good luck with it!
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Diggin' it wildly! Sizzling tone out of those man, sizzling tone!
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I wrote a short review in a new thread.
                      Last edited by madryan; 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X